Sign in to follow this  

Removing Nut from Bike Tire Axial

Hello, 

Newbie here. Maybe I am weak or something, but I can not take off the back nut on my KDX 220. 

I am using a crescent wrench. Should I turn clockwise (towards the front tire) or counterclockwise to remove the nut?

Is there a special wrench I need to un-tighten and tighten the nut?

Thank you

You are talking about the axle nut right? It is a normal thread- righty tighty lefty loosy. Turn it counterclockwise to loosen. I always just use the biggest crescent wrench I can find and you really have to lean on it hard.

Edited by Mike in OK

You are talking about the axle nut right? It is a normal thread- right tightly lefty loosy. Turn it counterclockwise to loosen. I always just use the biggest crescent wrench I can find and you really have to lean on it hard.

Thank you

Yes, the axle nut. Do I turn towards the front tire to loosen? Its tuff to take off. I am going to let some WD 40 sit on it for a while and retry. 

I don't have a torque wrench to use when tightening the nut back on. Do I need one?

Also, should I grease the axle and bearings while I have it off, if so what type of grease.

Thank you

Yes, the axle nut. Do I turn towards the front tire to loosen? Its tuff to take off. I am going to let some WD 40 sit on it for a while and retry.

I don't have a torque wrench to use when tightening the nut back on. Do I need one?

Also, should I grease the axle and bearings while I have it off, if so what type of grease.

Check if something is blocking the threads. Theres holes for a cotter pin on my 98 KX250, I tie a piece of grip wire through there because I lost an axle block and nut one time. Thank god nothing else happened, but to prevent that, I take the extra 30 seconds to tie in the wire.

About grease, just make sure the old crap is cleaned out first. Dont wanna mix grease.

I do not use a torque wrench. I just take my gianormous cresent and get it pretty tight, but not quite to where it wont turn at all. Then, like I said, I wire it on.

Edited by lethalweapon100

Check if something is blocking the threads. Theres holes for a cotter pin on my 98 KX250, I tie a piece of grip wire through there because I lost an axle block and nut one time. Thank god nothing else happened, but to prevent that, I take the extra 30 seconds to tie in the wire.

About grease, just make sure the old crap is cleaned out first. Dont wanna mix grease.

I do not use a torque wrench. I just take my gianormous cresent and get it pretty tight, but not quite to where it wont turn at all. Then, like I said, I wire it on.

Thank you.

I am knew to KDX. what is the reason for the cotter pin? Why do you put grip wire?

Thank you.

I am knew to KDX. what is the reason for the cotter pin? Why do you put grip wire?

Occasionally the nut will spin itself loose. Its uncommon, but sometimes it happens. Forget to tighten it 100%, it gets knocked off somehow...theres a few ways it could come loose. Anywho, this happened to me once. I had lost the nut and an axle block, I didn't realize until I had loaded the bike to head home. So, notice how the axle nut appears to be notched? And when its tight on the axle, some gaps between the notched line up with some small holes in the axle? Well, stock, theres a cotter pin pushed through there. Thats so if the nut comes loose, it won't go very far because it gets jammed up on the pin. I use grip wire because after I ordered a new block and nut, and wire is what I had laying around. The nut, if its loose, isnt going to come off or even spin off that far because the grip wire jams up the threads. Ill get a pic.