Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2012 DRZ-S 400, tail light not working, brake light works, cant pinpoint fault.

My 2012 DRZ-S 400 has some issues. The tail light stopped working but the brake light works fine. I've been thru the wiring diagrams, I can not see any broken wires, I have unplugged and plugged in all connectors and I can not find any kind of trouble shooting tips on how and what to test with my volt/ohm meter. I have to get the bike inspected and this is the main problem that will cause it to fail. Any ides where I can find the info needed to test switches, relays or other components?

Using a volt meter check at the socket itself to see if you're getting voltage there. I bet it's just a bad bulb or socket. If you have no voltage you're just gonna have to trace it back from there to find the source of the problem.

• Like 2

do you have the stock tail light or a led tailight? if stock i would look at the bulb,shoulda been the first thing you did. if you have a led tail light you could have a wiring problem. best thing to use is a test light if you have a constant power coming from the running light wire with good ground could be the bulb or leds are bad. to check bad ground, what i do is find a separate ground somewhere on the bike and use your test light and hit the ground to the tail light if the hot wire is good it should light up that indicates you have aground problem and you need to trace back to where it is grounded at. if both are good its your lighting.

Check out the bolt on the foot lever that activates the switch. If you don't hear a very light click down there when you press the rear brake the switch is stuck on.

Yes, I checked the bulb first thing. I did follow the harness back and tested all points I could. Getting voltage everywhere I should. I went back to the bulb and used a magnifying glass to triple check it (my son did the double check). The filiment was basically a hi-resistance open. It was broken, couldnt be seen with the naked eye, it was such a clean break that it was still touching when I originally looked at it. After I confirmed it was the bulb I shook it a little and that made it break off. Lessen learned. (My son is an electronics engineer and he was baffled after looking at the bulb and us testing everything else so I dont feel like a complete idiot). After doing all that work, I am getting a new LED tail light/turn signal kit/license plate bracket and adding a USB power port as well. Never did like the stock version. Thanks for trying to help me out everyone.

• Like 2