Sign in to follow this  

80-85mph gearing?

So from briefly going over other posts, it seems I may want to try out 13/48. For my 08 ktm 530 excr, I ride 95% street. The bike is completely stock as far as setting it up for the street. My dad and I do a lot of windy back country road cruises up to the mountains. I want a gearing setup that will do 80-85 at a comfortable rpm in 6th gear. I'm not crazy concerned about low end torque. I'm sure first gear will always have plenty. What setup will give me this?

2008 KTM XC-F 450

2008 KTM EXCR 530

Not sure of the outcome of your gearing, but if you go too far you will struggle in the top end. The bike will lack the torques to overcome the wind resistance and therefore will be labouring all the time.

Makes sense. So anybody got any suggestions for gearing to try?

2008 KTM XC-F 450

2008 KTM EXCR 530

I've got an 08 450excr with 14/51 gearing, which is probably pretty close to 13/48. I can cruise comfortably at 70-75mph, with short spurts into the 80's, but the engine is really revving out by then.

I've got an 08 450excr with 14/51 gearing, which is probably pretty close to 13/48. I can cruise comfortably at 70-75mph, with short spurts into the 80's, but the engine is really revving out by then.

I have the same and agree 100% with what rosok said. It is geared wrong and would rev too high for those speeds. If you want to travel at that speed and not caring about low end torque then leave it stock. If you want to try anything go to a 14t and try that. It is the cheapest way of doing it. You could also buy a 13t and compare them.

Well my rear sprocket is bent so I need a new one. The bike came with an extra front sprocket. I'm not sure if the stock or aftermarket is installed I haven't looked but I will check into it maybe I already have what u need. Yeah right now mine is the same way. 75-80 is too high high revving for my liking.

2008 KTM XC-F 450

2008 KTM EXCR 530

For what you are going to do - 95 percent street and cruising at 80-85 without revving too much - I'd leave the stock 15/45 gearing that 530 came with or maybe 15/48 to make it tolerable in the dirt that 5 percent. Cheers