Sign in to follow this  

Radiator hoses

My bike is 13 years old (2001 DRZ 400S) and I was thinking I need to replace the radiator hoses just due to age.  Am I making the right decision?  If so, should I go with OEM or Silicone aftermarket?  

Thanks in advance.

My bike is 13 years old (2001 DRZ 400S) and I was thinking I need to replace the radiator hoses just due to age.  Am I making the right decision?  If so, should I go with OEM or Silicone aftermarket?  

Thanks in advance.

Mine is an '02' and I'm thinking the same thing,  I'm going with OEM.

You know I recently put a set of the cheap ebay Silicone hoses on a buddies DRZ, and they where decent stuff. When I do mine, I will order a set.

• Like 1

Ive had good luck with the off brand silicone hoses.

Make sure you use clamps made for silicone hoses to keep from cutting into them/

Gates makes some.

http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/cooling-system/hose-clamps/silicone-hose-clamps

Gates also makes a really neat heat shrink "clamp" called the Power Grip.  It creates a perfect circle tension on the hose for leaks free.. They are black only with some white writing that can be removed with brake clean. 
 Ive had great luck with them on my Mustang builds and trucks....The only down side is they are a one time use deal. 

• Like 2

I think the silicone colored ones look awesome...get some bling along with improving reliability :)

You know I recently put a set of the cheap ebay Silicone hoses on a buddies DRZ, and they where decent stuff. When I do mine, I will order a set.

Can't remember exactly now, but I think mine were less than $25 and I've had them now for several months with no sign of any kind of failure.

• Like 1

Blue for sure...if I were doing it to my yellow bike, it would be blue.

Got a link to the hoses you got off ebay?

What color silicone rad hoses would you guys recommend for my color scheme?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i28gvw8nzc6j1c/2014-05-31%2020.02.22.jpg

I think two of the obvious options are yellow or blue. I am leaning towards blue.

For that factory look, match the bike's color. For that bling look, mix it up! 

Red is even cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Radiator-Coolant-Hose-clamps-for-SUZUKI-DRZ400S-DRZ400-SM-02-11-RED/191209453493?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23423%26meid%3D7697790823410757394%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10050%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D221138915412&rt=nc&_tf=221138915412

I'd go yellow on my bike, for a more factory look because my bike is yellow.

Failing yellow, I'd go red to match the 2005 stock red graphics.

Your bike looks so nice, I think anything but green is going to still look great.

Edited by Bermudacat

Yah .. The cheap Silicon hoses seem to be ok

I'm more inclined to think of them as the quality hoses that don't have the 60% retail markup, because you bought them factory direct.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1