Sign in to follow this  

could this 2 stroke oil mess up an engine?

this is the only 2 stroke oil my local shop had, seems it is designed for scooters: http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/REPSOL-MOTO-2T-TOWN-2STROKE-OIL

would this mess up a cr250 motor?

this is the description found on the repsol website:

Repsol Moto Town 2T: Lubricant for general use 2-stroke engines. It is suitable for all kinds of models and particularly suitable for use in stop-start city driving. It protects the engine from wear, keeping exhaust ports clean. It surpasses the Jas M FB 345, ISO-L-EGB and API TC quality levels.

X001-Y001.jpg

Well... "Lubricant for general use 2-stroke engines. It is suitable for all kinds of models"

I would use it if I was just putting around and had no chance to get better oil... Wouldn't use it regularly though. Is it synthetic? 

Edited by unboundnrg

specs on the website and back of the bottle say: 

Quality level:

• JASO M345 FB.
  • ISO-L-EGB.
  • API TC.

but the description on its wesbite and seller websites seem to emphasize "urban" use and make no mention of off road use. this is the repsol line up: http://www.repsol.com/ES_EN/PRODUCTOS_Y_SERVICIOS/PRODUCTOS/LUBRICANTES/NUEVA_GAMA_REPSOL_MOTO/MOTOCICLETAS_DE_2_TIEMPOS/DEFAULT.ASPX

Motorcycles with two-stroke engines
Moto%20sint%C3%A9tico%202T_tcm11-471525.

The main determining factor of this type of oil is that they operate lost greasing, i.e. it is mixed with gasoline to lubricate all mechanical elements and then end up being burned in the combustion chamber. It is therefore very important that the components of oil create low smoke formation.

Repsol has renewed and specialized its products to meet a market that is increasingly demanding and has more and more diverse applications. The Repsol Moto 2T range consists of 6 oils which cover the entire spectrum of qualities:

1. Repsol Moto Racing 2T: A totally synthetic and exclusive premix (premix-only) lubricant oil for high competition 2-stroke engines. Designed with the expertise provided by the Repsol competition teams and able to withstand high temperatures. It is a premix product suitable for karts.

2. Repsol Moto Competición 2T: A synthetic lubricant oil for 2-stroke engines for high performance that run on any type of road. It is formulated for full protection, ensuring excellent engine cleaning and low smoke formation. Its components prevent the formation of deposits, helping to keep the exhaust ports clean. Certified JAS M345 FD and TISI. It surpasses the ISO-L-EGD, Aprilia DFI and API TC quality levels. Proven performance with direct injection engines. 

3. Repsol Moto Off Road 2T: A synthetic lubricant oil for 2-stroke engines for high performance that run on any type of road. It is formulated for full protection, ensuring excellent engine cleaning and low smoke formation. Its components prevent the formation of deposits, helping to keep the exhaust ports clean. Certified JAS M345 FD and TISI. It surpasses the ISO-L-EGD, Aprilia DFI and API TC quality levels. Proven performance with direct injection engines. 

4. Repsol Moto Scooter 2T: A synthetic lubricant oil for 2-stroke engines of very high performance applicable to each and every one of the off-road specialties at the highest level. This product is specially formulated to ensure protection against engine wear and is suitable for premix and lubrication injector systems. Certified JAS M345 FD and TISI. It surpasses the ISO-L-EGD, Aprilia DFI and API TC quality levels. Proven performance with direct injection engines.

5. Repsol Moto Sintético 2T: A synthetic technology lubricant oil for high performance 2-stroke engines. It protects the engine from deposit formation and excessive wear. The characteristics of fluidity and mixability make it a suitable product for premix and lubrication injector systems. Certified JAS M345 FD and TISI. It surpasses the ISO-L-EGD, Aprilia DFI and API TC quality levels.

6. Repsol Moto Town 2T: Lubricant for general use 2-stroke engines. It is suitable for all kinds of models and particularly suitable for use in stop-start city driving. It protects the engine from wear, keeping exhaust ports clean. It surpasses the Jas M FB 345, ISO-L-EGB and API TC quality levels.

It will work fine. It's a light viscosity, injector compatible oil. Mix it with a low ratio like 24:1, especially if you are riding in sand.

Man don't use that... It will def not agree with your engine. Make sure it's synthetic two stroke oil. I use belray. Another good oil is Lucas oil. Don't use amsoil or that. You will regret it. You can get a buddy or drive to a shop I'm sure . It will be worth it. I'm telling you if you run that oil I guaranteed it will blow in 2-5 rides. Honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Any two-stroke  oil that has either API TC, JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD rating is acceptable for our engines.

API-TWC-3 oils are not.

The oil you asked about is fine. 

Man don't use that... It will def not agree with your engine. Make sure it's synthetic two stroke oil. I use belray. Another good oil is Lucas oil. Don't use amsoil or that. You will regret it. You can get a buddy or drive to a shop I'm sure . It will be worth it. I'm telling you if you run that oil I guaranteed it will blow in 2-5 rides. Honestly

You "guarantee" it will "blow in 2-5 rides"? Really? And what do you base that on, reading the tea leaves?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

God damn I love the internet...:lol:

• Like 5

I'm guaranteeing it on the fact it's non synthetic and for &%$#@!ing scooters. Not race engines. Ok . You put that stuff in your cr. see how it runs.dumbass

I'm guaranteeing it on the fact it's non synthetic and for &%$#@!ing scooters. Not race engines. Ok . You put that stuff in your cr. see how it runs.dumbass

Seriously? You know absolutely nothing whatsoever about oil, claim that just because it's a non-synthetic it's going to make his engine blow up, you think that 50cc scooters don't turn more rpms than your 250,and you're calling ME a dumbass? :lol:

Son, I've been building engines probably longer than you've been alive, and I also just happen to know a wee little bit about oils.

But forget about what I know, what the engineers that set standards for lubricants based on what manufacturers spec for their engines is what matters.

Go look in your manual for your bike to see what specs it requires for pre-mix oil. I guarantee you that these will be among the standards listed:

API TC, JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD

The oil he is asking about is API-TC AND ISO-L-EGD rated. The same standards that are listed in your manual for your bike.

And non-synthetic? Who gives a shit? Yamalube 2R is one of the best pre-mix oils on the market, and it's not a true synthetic, it's a Group II+ blend. Hell, most pre-mix oils are only API Group I-, II-, II+-, and III- mineral-base oil stocks, not true Group IV synthetics.

Now why don't you go learn something about what you're effing talking about before you post a bunch of ridiculous hyperbole that can't be supported by ANY factual data. And if you want to debate oils, fine, bring it. I haven't been in a good oil debate in awhile...:smirk:

• Like 5

Three TTers chime in about your oil choice and their post count is in the tens of thousands. One guy with less than 100 posts tells you it`s a bad oil and your bike will blow up. Up to you who you gonna believe. 

• Like 2

Seriously? You know absolutely nothing whatsoever about oil, claim that just because it's a non-synthetic it's going to make his engine blow up, you think that 50cc scooters don't turn more rpms than your 250,and you're calling ME a dumbass? :lol:

Son, I've been building engines probably longer than you've been alive, and I also just happen to know a wee little bit about oils.

But forget about what I know, what the engineers that set standards for lubricants based on what manufacturers spec for their engines is what matters.

Go look in your manual for your bike to see what specs it requires for pre-mix oil. I guarantee you that these will be among the standards listed:

API TC, JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD

The oil he is asking about is API-TC AND ISO-L-EGD rated. The same standards that are listed in your manual for your bike.

And non-synthetic? Who gives a shit? Yamalube 2R is one of the best pre-mix oils on the market, and it's not a true synthetic, it's a Group II+ blend. Hell, most pre-mix oils are only API Group I-, II-, II+-, and III- mineral-base oil stocks, not true Group IV synthetics.

Now why don't you go learn something about what you're effing talking about before you post a bunch of ridiculous hyperbole that can't be supported by ANY factual data. And if you want to debate oils, fine, bring it. I haven't been in a good oil debate in awhile... :smirk:

Oh my gosh!!! If it doesn't cost $10 for half a quart it must not be made for high performance motors, we musn't run it!!!  :devil:  :banghead:

• Like 1

Oh my gosh!!! If it doesn't cost $10 for half a quart it must not be made for high performance motors, we musn't run it!!!  :devil:  :banghead:

Starting lines and trails all over are filled with bikes that run anything from the best synthetic mix oils to the cheapest crap they can find, at anywhere from 20:1 to 100:1, and most of those engines live to play another day. Mixing an oil that meets the specs for your engine at a reasonable ratio certainly isn't going to be a problem.

I would still mix that oil at around 26:1 because it's a low-viscosity injector oil.

Starting lines and trails all over are filled with bikes that run anything from the best synthetic mix oils to the cheapest crap they can find, at anywhere from 20:1 to 100:1, and most of those engines live to play another day. Mixing an oil that meets the specs for your engine at a reasonable ratio certainly isn't going to be a problem.

I would still mix that oil at around 26:1 because it's a low-viscosity injector oil.

Yeah, i'm pretty militant about mixing oil at 100:1.  I don't understand why someone would skimp on premix like that.  Having said that, guys can mix it any way they want.  I get lucas oil really cheap because my son works at o'reillys auto parts.  Good oil, I run it at 32:1 and haven't had a problem.  got 40 hours out of my 125's last top end with a single ring piston and it probably could have gone longer, didn't have much blowby at all.

• Like 1

Since when is Amsoil two stroke oil not synthetic?  As others have stated, there is nothing wrong with non-synthetic two stroke oils, it's just not what I prefer to use.  I used Belray before they offered synthetic (late sixties, well before you were born) and had no trouble.  If you don't know what you are talking about, don't say anything.  Two to five rides???

You "guarantee" it will "blow in 2-5 rides"? Really? And what do you base that on, reading the tea leaves?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

God damn I love the internet... :lol:

This forum had been kinda boring for awhile until hondajunkie starting sharing his wisdom!

• Like 1