Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) 1985 XR200R

Howdy all, this is my first post and i want to say thanks already for all the great knowledge on this forum.

I have been doing a lot of reading here lately as I try my best to get this old XR running. I have found that it sat for better than 15 years before I picked it up. So far I have thoroughly cleaned the carbs, attempted removal of the spark plug (found out i need to order a special socket), attempted a valve clearance check (found I am missing a lock nut on an intake valve), ordered all new cables, grips, air filter (the original crumbled when i touched) ad now am placing an order for a new plug socket and a Clymer book.

Hopefully i can get the valves adjusted correctly ( .002 in and .003 ex) because I am sure they are not and get a solid compression test done once this socket arrives. I do believe I read it should be in the 185-215 psi range, please correct me if i am wrong. Providing this ol bike has decent compression I think it should run with properly adjusted valves and a good plug with clean carbs.

If you have any input here feel free to throw it my way. thanks in advance.

Mike

Good luck with ur bike everybody on here is super cool...

I like 84-85 color scheme...I have all that plastic on my 87... one day I will sit down and post some pics...

Welcome to TT.

I suspect that the nut came lose and is hiding inside the engine waiting to do mischief, or already has. 1. Use a flashlight and look inside the cover for the nut. 2. Get a small telescoping pencil magnet and probe inside the valve cover for the missing nut. 

Good luck

I found one of those nuts in the bottom case on my basket case. Must have made its way down the cam chain area.

Good idea to find that for sure.

Something to think about mikuni/sudco.

Makes a carb tuning manual on eBay sometimes series 5

I know we got keihins..but there's a nice section in there bout tuning multiple. Carbs..just a thought if that helps...

Post some pics for us

The XR dual carb setup is progressive via linkage and each carb is jetted differently.  The left carb is primary with an idle mixture screw and choke.

Honda shop manual is a valuable resource.

Bikes were jetted lean so check the jetting in the carbs to see if they are stock, if so rejetting is advised. 

Easiest way to remove the carbs is out the left side attached to the manifold.

Thanks for all the greeting fellas.

I will be doing what I can in the morning to find the missing lock-nut, hopefully we find it. Would anyoe say its normal to be able to "kick" these motors over with your hand ? I have no problem rolling this guy over with my hand and the decompression cable is unhooked. Again I have yet to get the ol specialty socket in to get the plug out and do a compression test. So currently I am looking for a replacement piston and ring's kit, hopefully something in a Wiseco upgrade to gain some more torque.

Amyway, pics to follow shorlty, have a good one y'all.

Mike

yep this is gonna be the place I ask all my questions.

Is there an reason my brand new ProMotion clutch cable seems to be about a half inch to long ? it adjusted damn near all the way out and i still had to put a spacer in the end to take up the last bit of slack. I think i may need a new spring on the clutch lever on the case but damn !