Sign in to follow this  

My New 1998 CR250 Resto Project

Hey guys, my name is Chris and I am new to this forum. I'd like to share my new project with y'all and see what you think. Recently I bought a 1998 Honda CR250 for $950. The guy was originally asking $1700 but I guess he couldn't sell it and he said since I seemed to really want it he'd give it to me for 950. That was all the money I had at the time as I had just lost my job and saw the bike as an investment I might be able to flip. Anyway, the bike was running when I picked it up, ran great as far as I could tell with lots of power. Well, when I got the bike home I looked it over and realised that the bike had more problems than he lead on and more than I had originally known about when I bought it. Took the bike out for a 20 minute spin the first day, ran okay as far as I could tell, so I put it up and rode it the next day for less than half an hour. At some point during the ride after I took off at half throttle and rowed through the gears, the bike totally bogged down, lost all power and just died. Couldn't start it after that. I walked the bike home and after thinking for a while I decided just to pull the top end to look at it and clean the carb and such. When I pulled the top end I knew there was a major problem. There was a copper piece stuck in the cylinder head near the spark plug. Thrust washer completely destroyed my top end. Now I don't know at what point this happened, because I never rode the bike hard at all, and I think the previous owner had done this to the bike before I bought it and may or may not have known about it. Seems like it'd be a far stretch for an engine to run in that condition though. I still don't know why the engine bogged down like that but I know the thrust washer very well may have done that. Anyway I pulled the piston and it was deeply gouged of course, and I could see the crank had a small score around it probably from a chunk of washer. At this point I knew I had to do a total teardown and complete rebuild of the engine. After tearing into the engine some more, I realised that all the bolts on the bottom of the case were completely loose! I also found out that the clutch basket and inner hub were pretty deeply grooved. Other problems I found on the bike include a missing chain guard and broken case behind where the gear shift spindle fits in, which the previous owner told me had happened when the chain snapped on a ride one day. Totally believable, this guy weighed 220 lbs and rode it hard. Solution: jb weld on the case! The rims have some missing spokes, the rear tire is worn, sprockets could probably use changing. Rear rotor is destroyed because the guy kept using the brakes after the pads were so worn there was metal to metal contact. There is a nice dent in the radiator, and the FMF pipe. After laying the sub frame on the ground I realised that it was bent. Anyway, I now have most of the parts ordered for the bike including the extreme clutch kit from Wiseco, Wiseco piston, Pro X rod, OEM gaskets and seals, and full bearing kit from Boss Bearing. I'm sending the crank and rod off to Ken Oconnor, and the cylinder is getting replated by US Chrome. I intend to paint most of the frame stuff and body panels with bedliner, and I'm going over every nut and bolt with a wire wheel. I have new braided stainless brake lines for the bike as well. New brake pads of course. Probably gonna do a master cylinder rebuild on both for the hell of it. Got new seals for calipers cause they were cheap. Still need a new rotor, or can I fix this one somehow? Anyhow I don't think I left anything out, but I'll be adding stuff as I move along with this project. Any advice is appreciated guys. This is my first resto, and the only previous bike I had was a 2002 yz450f which I only changed the oil on. Had to sell to get a truck. Heres some pics there will be more on the way.

• Like 1

Thanks man! I'm pretty pumped about this project. I can't wait for the first ride, it's gonna be great. I'm going to post some more pics right now. Unfortunately I never took any more pics of the bike before teardown, but I'm sure you guys have an idea of what it looked like. Also as far as the suspension goes I haven't even thought about that yet, and unfortunately I'm in Houston right now helping my dad move but the bike is out in Katy 30 miles west of here. The first order of business is getting crank and cylinder sent off so I can finish the engine. Just waiting on parts for now.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see what yall think about the left case which has the JB weld on it, and the right case half which has the broken threaded stud as you see in the picture. Also, suspension will probably be last, but thoughts on that? Thanks for the interest guys and ANY advice is ALWAYS appreciated!

• Like 1

Wow, looks like dirty air got through, what does the air filter look like?? And only a douche rides without a case saver. I can't really see what is going on with the broken stud but the left side case can be repaired...either by a skilled welder or some creative use of jb weld. Good luck, I just finished a 97 cr250 rebuild, it can be frustrating but worth it in the end

well you only paid $900 for a reason....still seems like a pretty good investment to me!

Matty, the air filter looks fine but it's one of those K&N deals and it seems to not fit completely properly in the air box. It seems like there might be some gaps in where it snugs up to the intake side. And case saver? And fen, yeah I pretty much agree man but if I would have known this was about to happen I'd have not paid more than $500 for it. But oh well it's a done deal I can only move forward!

You might like theese graphics for your '98. That's what i have on my 125 as well. That's a replica style off the original 100% graphics back in the day. The seatcover however is a 100% original still off the era.Found it on Ebay for cheap.

Graphics:

http://www.cemoto.it/articolo.php?id=483&lingua=#.U8og76j1O2c

14102241249_fa5d5132e2_c.jpg

You might also consider a oversize rotor for the front brake as by todays standard the stock ones are a bit weak. My '98 above is my last racebike.I kept it and used it exclusively uo until 2011 before i got other bikes. Now it's my "spare" bike and acts as testing mule as my actual racebike is a converted AF but still has the old HPP engine. So whenever i have something new enginewise i can test it against my '98 which has the same engine. Just lately though i had a race and early in the morning there was a real thunderstorm with heavy rainfall...really just before timed practice. The track was literally flooded. I was already thinking about packing up and go home when in the last minute i decided to take my '98 for the muddy practice instead. I still got 1st and later in the afternoon the track came around and i was able to race with my AF again. However it showed me that the old 1998 was still a capable bike regardless of what people tell you about that 1st generation aluminium frame. All you need is good suspension. I found out it has to be just a tad softer to compensate for the rigid chassis.

14102283610_4d90b96a88_c.jpg

Edited by nino
  • Like 2

You might like theese graphics for your '98. That's what i have on my 125 as well. That's a replica style off the original 100% graphics back in the day. The seatcover however is a 100% original still off the era.Found it on Ebay for cheap.

http://www.cemoto.it/articolo.php?id=483&lingua=#.U8og76j1O2c

14102241249_fa5d5132e2_c.jpg

You might also consider a oversize rotor for the front brake as by todays standard the stock ones are a bit weak.

I'm going all black on the fenders as I am bed lining them. And I already have the rotor and bracket in my wish list on Partzilla! I also have stainless braided brake lines, I wanted to make sure I have all the stopping power I can get.

Don't understand the bed lining, it is very heavy. That is not good. Why not use plastic paint made for that purpose?