Sign in to follow this  

Rear Hub on 1996 KX100 not a 1996 KX100 Rear Hub?

Hi, About 3 months ago I replaced the rear wheel bearing on my 1996 kx100 I purchased used a year ago. I took off the rear wheel today for brake work and noticed that the center ring of the bearings were pushed in further than the rest of the bearing along with some other bearing damage, I assume because I installed bearings for a 1996 hub, but this hub is for another year or model? Is there any way to determine what the part number of the hub is?

Thanks John

Hi, About 3 months ago I replaced the rear wheel bearing on my 1996 kx100 I purchased used a year ago. I took off the rear wheel today for brake work and noticed that the center ring of the bearings were pushed in further than the rest of the bearing along with some other bearing damage, I assume because I installed bearings for a 1996 hub, but this hub is for another year or model? Is there any way to determine what the part number of the hub is?

Thanks John

I have a feeling it wouldnt be the hub. Where is the spacer? Is it in between the bearings? You could've gotten a bad bearing, you couldve installed it incorrectly, or the axle nut mightve been overtightened. I would consider those before considering that its the incorrect hub.

Hi Lethalweapon100, Thanks so much for the quick reply! I'll recheck the installation, but before I install new bearings I want make sure I have the right parts and install them correctly. I've attached pictures of the "bearing covers" that I believe pushed in / damaged the bearings. Also I don't see these "bearing covers" pictured in the parts diagram.

P1020161.JPGP1020162.JPG

Thanks again. John

Hi Lethalweapon100, Thanks so much for the quick reply! I'll recheck the installation, but before I install new bearings I want make sure I have the right parts and install them correctly. I've attached pictures of the "bearing covers" that I believe pushed in / damaged the bearings. Also I don't see these "bearing covers" pictured in the parts diagram.

attachicon.gifP1020161.JPGattachicon.gifP1020162.JPG

Thanks again. John

Those are the wheel spacers. Where is the sleeve that goes in between the bearings? Did you install that?

If the bearings fit into the hub with a interference fit and snug onto the axle you had the right ones.

• Like 1

Those are the wheel spacers. Where is the sleeve that goes in between the bearings? Did you install that?

If the bearings fit into the hub with a interference fit and snug onto the axle you had the right ones.

Is the position in first pic the inward facing side? If its not, I can see how it would've damaged the bearings if tightened.

Hi, the first picture shows the side I used facing the bearings. So would it seem I tightened it too much? If so, would you have any suggestions on how not to over tighten? Also I purchased the "All Balls Racing" brand of spacers and they appear to be a different design to the OEM ones I have displayed in my previous pictures. Does that make sense?

Thanks so much!

Forget those 2 wheel spacers in your pic.

Inside the hub, in between the wheel bearings goes a spacer to prevent the inner race from pushing through.  Part number 92143-1282.  With all the bearings removed, you install one bearing, then the missing spacer, then the other bearing.  Install both seals and finally the axle and wheel spacers.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/1996/KX100-B6+KX100/REAR+HUB/parts.html#