Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 125sx not starting

had this bike for about a month nowits a 2006 new to me type of deal. as soon as I got the bike home drained the gas did a flush of the old and added new mixed gas with a 40 to 1 syn. changed the oil thats when i noticed some metal chunks on the drain bolt. replaced the oil with rotell-t drove it for a few hours and changed the oil again with a little bit of flaking. went for another ride today was running good, a few stalls perhaps to human error? but then it died totally. we noticed oil coming from the spark plug, never a good sign. replaced the spark plug it was drenched in black oil. perhaps from the bottom end? busted rings? we tried to kick it over and it felt way too easy to kick over and no offers on starting. we tried to bump start it but would not offer. so it is getting fuel plug was wet and smelled of the strawberry oil mix, getting air, confirmed spark as well. so now I'm thinking busted rings? and sure way to know? any other tips tricks i might have missed?

Pull the exhaust pipe and look at the piston though the exhaust port. Take off the ignition/stator cover and remove the spark plug so you can turn the engine over by hand. You might be able to get a look at the rings to see if they are broken. With the amount of black oil you have on the spark plug, it sound to me like you might have a crank seal that went out on the clutch side of the case. If the seal is out, you will have to drain the oil, pull the outer and inner clutch covers off and remove the entire clutch basket to get to it and replace it. You will also have a chance to inspect from where those metal chunks are coming from. If this seems a little over your head, consider taking it to a shop as there are a couple special tools involved. Hope this helps you out.

Edited by Runt424