Sign in to follow this  

Gaerne SG12 Probs

Have size 12 SG12 - been wearing them about 8 months.

Probs after about 3 hrs of riding:

1.  Top of the ankle area hurts.  Not a show stopper, but painful nonetheless.

2.  I foot is wide across the toes and after about 3 hrs the side of both big toes is killing me.  Killing to the point of needing a solution.

Whaddya think - anyone taken that magical tool the heat gun to their boots?

Anyone know of boots that are wider than? SG12s?

I'm wondering how much wider a size 13 would be.

Gaernes are WIDE A$$ boots, I doubt that there is an MX boot made wider then them. Try using "mole skin" on the big toes, aplly before putting socks on, just might help a bit.

The ankle problem is caused by the strap being to tight, just loosen it up a notch or two. I find that the hinged boots fit a tad different than regular boots and you'll need to adjust the buckles a little different than "just tight". I have SG10s and had the ankle pain at first, ran the buckle a tad on the loose side, after they fully broke in I could add a click or so to the strap. 

• Like 1

+1 as above....sg12's are wide azz boots, the best / most comfortable boot i have ever worn...i have "fred flintstone" feet....you would be hard pressed to find a wider boot

Thanks folks.

As far as that ankle strap I've adjusted it tight -loose and it still bugs me.  Last few times I've used it loose and still end up with a mark.

I've tried moleskin with no help.

Gonna examine the possibility of using a heat gun.

FWIW I have the same prob with my hockey skates, although not to the same painful degree - then again most I wear them for is 1.5 hrs.

I'm seriously tempted to order size 13...but that could be an expensive mistake, but at this point I need to do something.

Edited by SpunBearing

They have just announced the new SG12 will have a NARROWER toe box to answer complaints. My only complaint with my Gs is the weight. I feel like my feet are in buckets of cement.

They have just announced the new SG12 will have a NARROWER toe box to answer complaints. My only complaint with my Gs is the weight. I feel like my feet are in buckets of cement.

Narrower?  I can't be the only guy with wide feet.

Yeah, they are heavy, but they've saved my feet a few times.

Narrower?

Does slimmer mean narrower, or not as tall?

• The new toe-box design features a slimmer shape in the toe area for an improved feel of the shift lever and the bike’s controls. The entire area is wrapped by a new plastic material which is lighter and provides more comfort and feel for the bike as well.

I'm starting to wonder after many on-offs of the boots today that maybe they're too small.

The saga continues.

They have just announced the new SG12 will have a NARROWER toe box to answer complaints. My only complaint with my Gs is the weight. I feel like my feet are in buckets of cement.

Astars T10's will cure your issues. Take a shot, and you'll never look back!

Thanks.

Maybe it's just an impression, but looks to me like the SG provide greater toe protection.

Just ordered a pair of 2014 SG12 size 13.

We'll see how they fit.

Holy hell I hate ordering shoes on the web.  Can't remember the last time I did for just this reason.

I ordered the other boots at MLBS.

Just ordered a pair of 2014 SG12 size 13.

We'll see how they fit.

Holy hell I hate ordering shoes on the web.  Can't remember the last time I did for just this reason.

I ordered the other boots at MLBS.

If you bought them at RMATV, you could send them back if they don't fit. 

FWIW......Always use Euro sizing when ordering boots, it's much more accurate than our US (we call it whatever size we like) sizing.

I bought my SGs in Euro sizing and they were perfect, if I had ordered by shoe size, or by prior boot sizing, I'd have been off by quite a bit.

If you bought them at RMATV, you could send them back if they don't fit. 

FWIW......Always use Euro sizing when ordering boots, it's much more accurate than our US (we call it whatever size we like) sizing.

I bought my SGs in Euro sizing and they were perfect, if I had ordered by shoe size, or by prior boot sizing, I'd have been off by quite a bit.

Yep, ordered from RMATV - used a 10% coupon also.  I really really will feel bad if I have to send them.

Inside the boot the tag says, "Euro 47, USA 12" and I wear 12 in my hockey skates and work boots...so I don't know.

Did you guy your SGs larger or smaller than your US shoe size?

I tried them on with no socks, and it's definite; mine are too small.  Going up for sale in the next few days.

I wear 8.5 shoes, work boots , skates and the SG 12's I have are size 8 and fit perfect. I read when I bought mine that they were made a little on the large size and they were right. I have wide feet and have no comfort issues at all.

• Like 1

Ive known a lot of people to wear a size larger boot. I do, as well. After having tech 8s forever...i will never buy another brand. They are amazing.

Depending on how the 13s go I may look at Alpine.

As long as the higher quality ones have different buckles.

I bought a pair of Tech 3s when I got back into riding after 27+ yrs.

Man oh man those buckles are almost impossible to get loose.  Was just messing with them today.  :banghead:

Depending on how the 13s go I may look at Alpine.

As long as the higher quality ones have different buckles.

I bought a pair of Tech 3s when I got back into riding after 27+ yrs.

Man oh man those buckles are almost impossible to get loose.  Was just messing with them today.  :banghead:

Nope, same buckles....A* quality is pure crap today, they are riding a name and hoping that it pans out.

• Like 3

Yep, ordered from RMATV - used a 10% coupon also.  I really really will feel bad if I have to send them.

Inside the boot the tag says, "Euro 47, USA 12" and I wear 12 in my hockey skates and work boots...so I don't know.

Did you guy your SGs larger or smaller than your US shoe size?

I tried them on with no socks, and it's definite; mine are too small.  Going up for sale in the next few days.

I wear size 13 boots and size 12 gaerne's.

wth are you doing with hockey skates in texas?

Edited by KTMforlife

My SG12s had the same problem in the ankle area. I magically fixed them by letting a 2x4 sit inside them for several days to stretch them out a bit. Just throw it in there and twist it 90° so the 4" side spans the ankle area. Problem solved. They have fit great ever since.