Sign in to follow this  

Carbon Fiber Exhaust Guard vs. Hyde Exhaust/Sump Guard

I ride a lot of technical terrain with big rocks, roots etc. similar to the Roof of Africa type stuff.

Was looking to get an exhaust/sump guard for a KTM300EXC and was wondering how much protection you get from the carbon fiber guard?

Sure looks safe but can it take a decent knock?

The one from Hyde Developments looks like it will absorb a lot more energy and stop the pipe from bending if you hit a rock.

Anybody got a decent smack on the carbon guard?

If so, how did it stack up in the end?

See most of the top guys in the roof with 2T are using the Hyde guard to protect their bikes.

http://hyde1.mybigcommerce.com/cexg104a-b/ vs. http://hyde1.mybigcommerce.com/EXG106/

Edited by chadsta_za

the CF style will crack and splinter just fibergalss would. They do work, but get cracks and chunks out of them.

the CF style will crack and splinter just fibergalss would. They do work, but get cracks and chunks out of them.

Agreed, the spread the impact and usually stop or minimize the pipe dents, but most cost almost as much as the art pipe and while the one I have stopped the dents, it eventually cracked in many places and it cracked my stop pipe in 2 places, basically where it clamped on as that is where the forces transfer.

So all in all I have a junk pipe and $100 pipe guard, probably would have been better off living with the dents and then spending $150 on an srt pipe when needed since I had to buy a pipe either way.

I love the hyde skidplates!

the full coverage one is pretty awesome, but it does have a large void that attracts debris!

have had one on my wr250f for the last 6 yrs

it is not noisy and glides over trees and rocks easily!

I have the original P3 guard on my 11'xc.  That thing has been to hell and back and besides a few missing chunks and lots of scratches, its still doing fine.  Hasn't even de-laminated yet and I have 350 hours on it.  Have a E-line on my other 300 and it seems to be holding up fine so far, although this is my second one after I broke the first one in half.  I think out of all the pipe guards and systems out there, CF is probably the least protective out of all of them but they save the pipe from dings that would ruin them.  I've still dented pipes and folded them back into the frame before, but the guard deadened the blow.  On the other hand the Hyde guard is probably the best protection out there

• Like 1

Went round to the bike shop today to arrange to pick my KTM300 up for next weekend.

Apparently the stock KTM pipe has thin walls and the rubber contact pads on the Hyde guard dent them if you get a smack.

Not the case with the thicker wall FMF pipe apparently, maybe he just wants to make more cash out of me!

Went round to the bike shop today to arrange to pick my KTM300 up for next weekend.

Apparently the stock KTM pipe has thin walls and the rubber contact pads on the Hyde guard dent them if you get a smack.

Not the case with the thicker wall FMF pipe apparently, maybe he just wants to make more cash out of me!

Yup if you take a big hit on the Hyde it puts small dents in the pipe. But it's better than folding a pipe in half. I ended up taking the Hyde off my 300 simply because it caught a ton of debris and looked fugly as hell. Running with no protection now and surprisingly haven't got any new dents.....yet.