Sign in to follow this  

2001 yz125 stalls when put in gear, also when coming to a stop?

Hello, I have a 2001 yz 125 that runs absolutely fine once I get it going and into gear and everything seems to work fine. But the annoying thing is, that when I start it up in neutral and the put it into first it will stall unless I give it a little gas. And then once I finish riding and come to a stop if I hold the clutch in and stop it will stall unless I rev it to keep it going. Also im not sure if this will help but every time before I ride i try to let it idle for about a minute and then ride around in first for a few minutes, then I ride normally, and after i ride normally I stop the bike and it doesn't want to idle as well as it did when I first start it. If you know what this may be please help!

Thanks

There was another thread recently with same scenario, I had it myself with my CRF just like you.

Heres my .02, 

Some of the above can be tweaked out by adjusting the clutch cable...this is mainly for the issue when your coming to a stop. For me I started at the bottom adjuster on the case, returned it to default and started from there.

Also, alot has to do with the gear oil (not necessarily bad). When some oils/clutch setups are still cold they discs will be sticky. So yeah, generally a decent 3 min warmup should help but if not...just a blip (even a few seconds before to bring idle up in my case) should get the job done.

Now...thats my newby advice from my situation and experience from others.

If the bike feels like it wants to run away from you when you drop into gear...then thats another story.

Good luck!

You pull in the clutch, the plates separate and the wheel and motor are not longer connected.

When your clutch is worn out, the plates get warped and drag against each other, and the Clutch Basket can also be notched, causing the plates to get hung up.

It's time to buy a SERVICE MANUAL and read the recommended maintenance you should be doing.