Sign in to follow this  

TPS Adjustment/Calibration Video

I looked around the interwebs in search of instructions about this topic and found little help.  So, I figured I would offer this to my TT buds in case it might help someone else.

The TPS on the FI bikes is much more important than it has been in the past, and I was very surprised about how much difference a slight misalignment could make.  These instructions might not be crystal clear the first time through, but if you can get a multimeter and aren't afraid to splice wires, this tutorial may save you a few bucks.  Of course, if your bike is running perfectly, do nothing, but if you choose to take the TPS off for any reason, or if you suspect it is bad, this should give you enough information to get back to spec.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Great post. Thanks for the info. Most info I found said you had to use a 5 volt power supply. Something like a cell phone charger. Interesting to see the bike has no problem with a 12 volt power supply. 

Great post. Thanks for the info. Most info I found said you had to use a 5 volt power supply. Something like a cell phone charger. Interesting to see the bike has no problem with a 12 volt power supply. 

Yeah, the 5V power supply is if you have the TPS on the bench.  Keep in mind, what goes into the bike is 12V, what comes out to the TPS is 5V.  I doubt 12V would hurt the TPS, but your readings would certainly be way off.  The reason the guy in the video I referenced spent a ton of cash on a 5V power supply is because getting 5V from a cell-phone charger plugged into 110 is hard to do.  I measured my Radio Shack 12V power supply output and got 14.  With the car battery on the main power input, everything came out exactly as it should.  Also, when the bike was started with everything put together, I got the same pure 5V to the TPS.  Pretty cool.

The kaw is very easy to tap into and measure with the bike running generating its own power

• Like 1

The kaw is very easy to tap into and measure with the bike running generating its own power

True.  No external 12V source is even required.  Having it running is the same as having it wired up, at least it should be.

I have a 2014 kx250f. Can I adjust the tps by hand as it's running? The idle hangs on my bike and I'm trying to get it to stop hanging when I rev it

I have a 2014 kx250f. Can I adjust the tps by hand as it's running? The idle hangs on my bike and I'm trying to get it to stop hanging when I rev it

Sure.  It just gets kind of loud when testing the upper limit, but you only need to go WOT once.  The rev limiter will kick in, but that won't hurt anything.  

The other suggestion is to turn the idle down.  Clockwise on the idle knob.  It takes a few clicks to make a difference.  That may help, it may not.