Sign in to follow this  

Adjusted timing, won't kick

Adjusted the timing on my '04 250F, and put it back together. Now it won't kick over. Any ideas on what it could be?

Adjusted the timing on my '04 250F, and put it back together. Now it won't kick over. Any ideas on what it could be?

most likely off a tooth

I have the marking dots in line with the top of the motor and the other dots on top. Anything else I should be looking for?

I have the marking dots in line with the top of the motor and the other dots on top. Anything else I should be looking for?

A few things to consider.  

First:  Dots on exhaust cam have to be at 9:00 and 12:00, and the intake needs to be at 3:00 and 12:00.  There should be 12 pins from each 12:00 dot, including the pins on each dot.  The piston should be at TDC at this point, and you should verify TDC with the timing mark AND double-check with a screwdriver.  The timing mark is hard to see and line up, so the screwdriver is insurance.  All that, I am assuming, is good.

Second: Every time the chain tensioner is pulled out (which you need to do to adjust timing) it MUST be re-set manually before putting it back in.  This is a ratcheting non-return tensioner that will extend when you pull it out.  If you crank it back in without re-setting, it will ruin the chain and possibly cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Third:  Cam cap bolts must be torqued down correctly, in sequence.  Too much torque on those has, on several occasions, resulted in the cams not spinning freely in their journals.  It sucks when that happens, but others have repaired the journals with a lot of care and patience.

Any of the above resonate with your situation?