USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

1989 Honda CR250R What Year Cylinders & Engines Will Fit?

Hello, I have been building bikes for most of my life and I own several vintage Honda four stroke motorcycles however this is my first CR250R build. I recently did some trading for this 89 CR250R that had been sitting for a while so I removed the head and found that there is a lot of piston and cylinder damage so I am looking for a replacement cylinder, does anyone know what years of cylinders will fit the 89 engine?

I am also looking at cylinder sleeves, will the power valves need to be machined if a sleeve is installed? 

What years of the CR250R engine would be a direct replacement and fit in this frame and do other engines like the CR125, CR500, etc. fit? 

I have noticed that the CR500 engines do not have the power valves, has anyone ran the CR250 without them?

Hello, I have been building bikes for most of my life and I own several vintage Honda four stroke motorcycles however this is my first CR250R build. I recently did some trading for this 89 CR250R that had been sitting for a while so I removed the head and found that there is a lot of piston and cylinder damage so I am looking for a replacement cylinder, does anyone know what years of cylinders will fit the 89 engine?

I am also looking at cylinder sleeves, will the power valves need to be machined if a sleeve is installed? 

What years of the CR250R engine would be a direct replacement and fit in this frame and do other engines like the CR125, CR500, etc. fit? 

I have noticed that the CR500 engines do not have the power valves, has anyone ran the CR250 without them?

Have the cylinder replated.  Talk to millennium technologies, they can replate it and it will be good as new.  Don't have it sleeved, get it replated.

Thank You for the replies and the information. We had Millennium Technologies repair and replate some two stroke twin cylinders for us and their work is absolutely beautiful. The reason I am considering a sleeve is because I plan on keeping the bike and I hope to ride it almost every day so it would be nice to be able to bore the sleeve locally when I would like to rebuild the engine again instead of having to ship the cylinder out and wait for it to be completed. This bike will not be raced, I will be using it for dirt road and trail riding. If you do not mind me asking and for my own education why do you not like the sleeves? 

Edited by thenoblecraftsman

Thank You for the replies and the information. We had Millennium Technologies repair and replate some two stroke twin cylinders for us and their work is absolutely beautiful. The reason I am considering a sleeve is because I plan on keeping the bike and I hope to ride it almost every day so it would be nice to be able to bore the sleeve locally when I would like to rebuild the engine again instead of having to ship the cylinder out and wait for it to be completed. This bike will not be raced, I will be using it for dirt road and trail riding. If you do not mind me asking and for my own education why do you not like the sleeves? 

you can put 100's of hours on a plating without ever having to have any work done on the cylinder, using stock bore pistons that are cheaper than oversized bore pistons.  Nickel plating cools better than steel sleeves, and you don't have to worry about shoddy machine work having the sleeve not line up with your ports.  Get it replated don't put a steel sleeve in it.  Your bike will have more power and be more reliable using the plating, that is why manufacturers went to plated cylinders in about 85 and have stayed with it ever since, it is a newer and better technology.

• Like 1