Sign in to follow this  

2002 YZ125 strange bogging

First off would like to introduce my recent purchase, a 2002 yz125 ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402198823.825438.jpg

This is my third bike (previously owned a cr125 and a rm125). By far enjoy riding this beast over my two other bikes. But I've been having some bogging issues..

So from here on I will start a log on what I've done to the bike so far and hopefully i can narrow down the cause and help others learn as well.

I gave this bike a FULL bottom and top end rebuild; new crank, seals, bearings, piston and cylinder.

BIKE LOG

-----------------------------------------------------

- My compression is at 120psi constant (cold and hot). This thing runs like stink and the front wheel will never want to stay down, even in 4th gear!

- running a 50t rear with a 13t front sprocket.

- stock exhaust with fmf shorty silencer

- carbon fiber reeds with stock cage (not sure brand of reeds)

- 420 main jet with a 30 pilot jet

- needle position is on 3rd

Everything else is stock.

-----------------------------------------------------

But after 30 minutes of riding, the bike will start to lose power and eventually bog out. Strange though I can keep rolling on quarter throttle but once i hit half/full it'll sputter and slowly bog its way down until it stalls. Note that this all starts happening once the engine has been running for a decent amount of time (30-40mins).

So this is where the troubleshooting began.. Pulled the plug and it seemed to be running rich top end. Adjusted the needle to every position to see if I got any improvements.. Still bogs. So i swapped the main jet to a 410 and it was WAY too lean.. Back to the 420 it was. My bottom end was sputtering quite a bit so i downsized to a 25 pilot with 1 1/2 air screw out which improved my bottom to mid range power quite a bit. Finally I was getting somewhere, but still bogging out after I hit that 30 minute mark of riding. Started to think maybe I needed to change my throttle needle? Running a #79 throttle needle and heard the #77 was my best option for the 02 yz's. So thats on order.

Meanwhile I managed to score a 2001 yz125 carb for 100$. I read online that the main jet on these carbs were a 460 with a 25 pilot. Throttle needle is a #75 so it's bigger than what's in my 02. I said heck with it why not see what happens if i throw it in my bike. Went out for a rip and it ran AMAZING. I have yet todo a chop test on it along with a full 30mins + ride (it was getting dark). So more updates hopefully tomorrow.

If anyone knows what could be the cause to this bogging, commenting would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like over heating (water pump is damaged) or a dying stator

There is no reason to think it is  the carb, as the carb requirements will not 'change' after 3 min of use.

30 minutes in would be most likely related to heat damage (stator) or heat build up (non functioning cooling)

• Like 1