ONLY 36 HOURS LEFT! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

New to me 2006 DRZ400SM threw the crankcase drain plug 2km after garage service

Hello TT

This is my first post, and one that has me a little concerned.  I recently purchased a DRZ400-SM from the original owner who took meticulous care of the bike and has all service records and log book of every change on the bike since new (it was pretty much his baby and treated it so).  Actually, he is a member of this forum and wrote "The Master 3x3 Post". The bike has 16,000km and has had the oil changed with semi-synth Motul every 1500km since new.

The bike had been sitting for a little while, and needed a spring service.  The original owner always worked on his bike personally, but suggested that I take it to a local reputable bike shop in town to get the fluids changed, which I did.  Everything was good to go, I provided my own oil (semi-synth Motul 10w-40) and filter, and they provided the wrench time.  All was good when I picked up the bike and rode it 2km back to my house, where I parked it for the evening. The next morning I noticed a small pool of oil underneath my bike, and called the shop. I told them about the leak and they told me to bring it in. The bike shop is only 2km away from my place, but shortly after pulling out from my garage, my bike threw the crankcase drain plug.  Unfortunately I did not notice until I pulled up in front of the bike shop. I immediately stopped the engine, and noticed that oil was still coming out. The owner of the shop was outside when I pulled up, and immediately wheeled my bike into the garage to inspect it. A new plug was installed (with a safety wire), and they filled her back up with oil, but they also mentioned that the threads on the engine were looking worn. Note: the bike was not leaking oil when I purchased it.

TLDR

I guess my question is what damage could have been done to the bike while riding with the crankcase drain plug out for 2km (nothing hard... basic side streets no more than 50-60kmh... 5min tops)?  Oil was still leaking form the engine when I shut her down, but not much.

The bike seems to be running fine with the usual engine chatter (my bike has had the manual cam chain tensioner installed), but have not had the bike long enough to hear the difference. Is this something that the garage should look into further if there is any concern?

(There is now a nice 2km long strip of oil that leads from just outside my garage to the bike shop... makes me cringe ever time I see it.)

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Cheers!

Edited by Skorcher

Thanks for the reply's

"You could remove the valve cover and inspect for oil starvation" - Thanks for the suggestion... I will pass this on to the shop.  From what I read, lack of oil pressure may have starved the bearings in the bottom end as well.  Lucky the bike was only running for about 5 min after the plug was thrown, and I was taking it easy.

"Your lucky you didn't eat an asphalt sandwich with it dumping oil all over the back tire like that" - Oh man...no kidding... I did get some rear wheel washout just as I was turning into the bike shop parking lot... but it could have been lights out along the way if I was not riding slow and easy.

I have since contacted the previous owner who needless to say was pretty choked that this happened. He has never had any issues with the drain plug over the years he has owned the bike, and always used a torque wrench to tighten, so he was sure it was an oversight on their part.  That said, he is going to pop by and take the bike for a ride to see if he notices anything "different".  Thinking about also getting an engine oil analysis done after it's next oil change as well. I also plan on speaking with the owner of the shop to see if we can work something out in the event of any issues.

Edited by Skorcher

Thanks for the reply's

"You could remove the valve cover and inspect for oil starvation" - Thanks for the suggestion... I will pass this on to the shop.

I would be pretty coy about returning to THAT shop, their not going to accept any responsibility for a fark up if they can avoid it after not tightening the sump plug.

Maybe contact the previous owner and ask if he can take the rocker cover off and do an inspection, it is only a 10 min job.

At least you will get and unbiased and honest opinion.

Personally, I would be serving up a course of real bad attitude to the owner of the shop, not only has the shop risked killing you motor they have risked killing you.

• Like 1

Running for 5 min without oil is, well a darn long time.

If the drain plug was properly installed, it would not have fallen out... that makes ANY excuse said shop gives for why it "fell" out suspect and likely BS.

Signs of oil starvation can be seen usually in the head, at the cam journals. If those survived, chances are good the connecting rod bearings are ok. 

In any case, nothing to do but run it and see what happens, or tear it apart and inspect...

• Like 1

Thanks again for the reply's...  I'm making notes as I go along so the comments are much appreciated.

I will be having a conversation with the owners today to hopefully figure out this mess.  So far all I have been getting is excuses with attitude.  

The bike now has a slow leak from the crankcase drain plug, which it did not have when I brought the bike to the shop.  I have a feeling they damaged the threads on the case.

I'll post more as this progresses.

• Like 1

I will be having a conversation with the owners today to hopefully figure out this mess.  So far all I have been getting is excuses with attitude.  

Did you get an invoice/receipt for the work performed?

As they were the last people to work on your bike, ask them to explain how they can not be held responsible? 

Take a friend with you to back you up and level the playing field,

• Like 1

you're not going to see signs of oil starvation now by just removing the cam cover as it now has oil in the engine.

Oil way you might see starvation is to remove the top cam journals and take a peak. You could insist the shop do tht and let you have a look. I wouldn't take their word for it and would insist on seeing the cams.

It's their repsonsibility to tighten the drain plug so yeah they were the last ones to touch th edrain plug. Sure they can mention the threads were bad, but since they changed the oil it's their responsibility to inform you of the situtation. This covers thier ass from responsibility. No mention to you about bad threads when you ppicked it up, so who really knows if the thread are bad or not.

It will be VERY difficult to lay blame on the shop for stripped threads where they did it or not. BUt THEY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT WHEN YOU PICKED UP THE BIKE. As that would have kept them out of potentially being responsible. for the dropped drain plug. Most likely they will choose to do nothing, as to procced further will take major effort by you. What are you going to do if they say, well it came into the shop with bad threads......prove me wrong????

Edited by One Less Harley

you're not going to see signs of oil starvation now by just removing the cam cover as it now has oil in the engine.

Really and why not..??? How is fresh oil going to cover up damaged cam journals caused by oil starvation? 

I think you mis read what was posted above before your response..."Signs of oil starvation can be seen usually in the head, at the cam journals."

If you opine fresh oil will some how cover up the damaged aluminum cam journals, please explain.. Id love to hear your reasoning.. 

• Like 1

Really and why not..??? How is fresh oil going to cover up damaged cam journals caused by oil starvation? 

I think you mis read what was posted above before your response..."Signs of oil starvation can be seen usually in the head, at the cam journals."

If you opine fresh oil will some how cover up the damaged aluminum cam journals, please explain.. Id love to hear your reasoning.. 

Might have been refilled with snake oil, :rolleyes:

sounds like another broken engine case from over torquing (or good lord, cross threading? DAMN!) the drain plug. 

have them pull the engine drain plug in your presence and inspect the threads with them. then ask to see them reinstall the drain plug, and see if they use a torque wrench or not. i'm betting three point five doughnuts they do not. 

they did it. that's why all the attitude. sorry.