Sign in to follow this  

engine not getting oil

i have just finished rebuilding my 2004 DR-Z 400 because of oil feed problems. I started the bike up and gave it a quick run at idle and low revs i heard top end noises and shut it down i dropped the sump and got about 1/2 cup of oil then i dropped the oil out of the frame and found the rest of the oil. I then went looking for the oil and found that the new oil filter i put in was completely dry. Have i got the oil pump incorrectly timed or is there other things that i should look for? also what way does the oil flow through the bike?

This is the seccond time it has done this the first time i sent it into a motorcycle shop and had a full top and bottom rebuild including head and cams. This time i have only replaced what was necessary and full gasket kit.

Have you physically inspected the oil pump and drive gears?

If I remember correctly, there has been reports in the past when the drive gears for the oil pump have been damaged or stripped causing issues.

Someone with more knowledge on this matter will chip in soon.

I have had this before. Have you tried laying the bike over to the left side, put the oil filter in and prime the housing with oil, so just fill it up as much as you can then close it up. When you start it leave the frame reservoir open and look in with a torch. It's very obvious when it takes the oil, the level should drop rapidly then stablise as it starts returning from the sump. 

hey yes i did inspect the oil pump there was a broken fibrous idler sprocket which was replaced, no i haven't tried leaning the bike over but will do that now and let you know how i go.

I have had this before. Have you tried laying the bike over to the left side, put the oil filter in and prime the housing with oil, so just fill it up as much as you can then close it up. When you start it leave the frame reservoir open and look in with a torch. It's very obvious when it takes the oil, the level should drop rapidly then stablise as it starts returning from the sump. 

There is no priming of the oil system needed... it simply does not work that way. 

Remove the oil flow check bolt from the back of the engine above and inboard of the CCT.

If you have flow from that bolt with engine running you have oil flow in the motor.

If the clutch basket was roughly installed, it's possible the oil pump idler gear (made of plastic) is broken. 

Have you physically inspected the oil pump and drive gears?

If I remember correctly, there has been reports in the past when the drive gears for the oil pump have been damaged or stripped causing issues.

Someone with more knowledge on this matter will chip in soon.

Yes ham fisted install of the clutch basket, with break the idler gear.