Sign in to follow this  

Motocross "Made a little change..."

Last week 5 alluded to a 'little change' they made between moto 1 and 2 and that it had a BIG effect, the wrong way.

This week 7 says the same thing. "Made a little change between 1 and 2 and it didn't work, took it the wrong way".

Is this just psychobabble the wrenches tell their riders so their egos won't shatter or is this real stuff that really matters?

At least in Days of Thunder the reporter called out Harry Hogg when his driver, Cruise, said that "Harry got me some special tires"

"What was special, Harry?"   "Nothing. I say that so this candy ass will focus on HIS job."

I mean "What change was that, Ryan, James, and how did it impact your riding on this track?"

How freaking hard is that???

And does anyone know what they probably did and what the practical impact was?

• Like 1

Riders/mechanics change things all the time after motos. Tires, suspension, sag, fork height, etc. Just like Nascar drivers make changes after practice but it sounds like you know more than those pesky professional bike mechanics.

• Like 3

Is this just psychobabble the wrenches tell their riders so their egos won't shatter or is this real stuff that really matters?

Firstly, I don't hang off Stewart's nuts. Never have. The guy is just tried of dreaming up bullshit to try and be popular with naive fans, and he has decided to tell it how it is.  Just like Reed in his days of riding the shitbox 06-07 YZ450F. Some fans don't like the honestly because it sounds like an excuse. It is an excuse, but so what?

It's stuff that really matters. Have you taken notice of how freaking fast the top 5 are going? To think they are on heavy 450s and doing that. Dude, for me it's mind blowing.   In that lead group, when trying find a competitive edge or just trying to push personal limits of control and traction, a tiny bike adjustment can make a massive difference. Easily 20 secs over the duration of a moto. 

It could be a clicker, or one shim, or 1mm fork height, or a couple of mm sag. At the pace those boys are going, and the lack of room for error, it wouldn't take much on a 450 to drop 20 secs in a moto or end up in a hospital for 5 days.

Why the skeptics don't get it I'll never know ... every year, more and more AMA national pro riders come out and talk about setup. Not because (as Matthes says) ... "they cannot look in the mirror". It's because of the pace increase over the years, and what makes a result difference to beat riders at a similar level or skill and preparation.  Fans claiming it's all "hard work, twisting the throttle and mentally wanting it bad" is a load of dreamer BS. It's also about getting smart and the pushing the laws of physics.

Awesome sport. I just love it. Those top riders are freak athletes.

I wish RV sat out supercross instead of outdoors. SX is boring compared to this stuff.

• Like 7

Riders/mechanics change things all the time after motos. Tires, suspension, sag, fork height, etc. Just like Nascar drivers make changes after practice but it sounds like you know more than those pesky professional bike mechanics.

When I heard that I thought.....You dominate the first moto, why the Hell would you change anything?

• Like 2

When I heard that I thought.....You dominate the first moto, why the Hell would you change anything?

Good question. That's why he would have been so pissed off - at himself.   I think Stewart was hoping to win moto 2 more easily, and just guessed things wrong. It can happen.

Of course no bike mechanic or team suspension guy can tell an experienced rider what he wants. Rider feels = knows = decision.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1

Last week 5 alluded to a 'little change' they made between moto 1 and 2 and that it had a BIG effect, the wrong way.

This week 7 says the same thing. "Made a little change between 1 and 2 and it didn't work, took it the wrong way".

At least in Days of Thunder the reporter called out Harry Hogg when his driver, Cruise, said that "Harry got me some special tires"

"What was special, Harry?"   "Nothing. I say that so this candy ass will focus on HIS job."

I mean "What change was that, Ryan, James, and how did it impact your riding on this track?"

How freaking hard is that???

When you see that the top riders are often fractions of a second off of each other, I would say that little changes can make a big difference.  Whether that change is something tangible or is something in the rider's mind is another question.

• Like 2

The simple fact of the matter is, when you are operating complex machinery at its limit, even minute changes make a huge difference. James says that, Dungey says that, RV says that - almost every week. All the top riders know this and James understands that to stand still is to lose ground... funny, someone else says that frequently too, but he's applauded for being progressive on his bike. 

Can't figure out why you guys love to hate James so much - imagine this sport without him the last decade? That's right, Zzzzzzzz..... The guy is one of the very best ever, appreciate him while he is still around, you'll miss him when he's gone.

Now, let's bash on Chad for that ridiculous interview he gave.... That's worth ripping on. 

• Like 4

Chad's interview was hilarious, "going clean some guys out like they do me, there's no respect back there" that shit was funny

• Like 8

Don't know what happened to chad in the 1 moto but he felt really pathetic in that interview, going crybaby... And Suzuki really must suck big time, I haven't heard bubba happy with the bike once :/ and its almost never been anything wrong with bubbas riding according to themselves. How many months, (years?) of testing does it take to make "Jesus on wheels" consistently fast... FAIL

• Like 4

Don't know what happened to chad in the 1 moto but he felt really pathetic in that interview, going crybaby... And Suzuki really must suck big time, I haven't heard bubba happy with the bike once :/ and its almost never been anything wrong with bubbas riding according to themselves. How many months, (years?) of testing does it take to make "Jesus on wheels" consistently fast... FAIL

:rolleyes: Chad's interview was epic! He was pissed that he hasn't performed as well as he should and he made it known that he doesn't like being back there. I guess maybe you're upset that he didn't give a cookie cutter interview like everyone else does week in and week out?

James has been faster each week... I'd say the Zuke is doing just fine. He doesn't have to be 100% happy with his set up. If any rider was 100% content not to change things then we would never see progression. 

The only FAIL was your post. Move along. 

Edited by BDubb106

:rolleyes: Chad's interview was epic! He was pissed that he hasn't performed as well as he should and he made it known that he doesn't like being back there. I guess maybe you're upset that he didn't give a cookie cutter interview like everyone else does week in and week out?

James has been faster each week... I'd say the Zuke is doing just fine. He doesn't have to be 100% happy with his set up. If any rider was 100% content not to change things then we would never see progression.

The only FAIL was your post.

Noope he sounded like a crybaby pissed at other riders taking him out (going faster?), not mad at himself

Haha yep I know riders never get a 100% satisified but bubba dont seem even close to happy sometimes, he just looks tired of it... I'd say it doesnt look like bubba likes the Zuke...

• Like 1

Noope he sounded like a crybaby pissed at other riders taking him out (going faster?), not mad at himself

Haha yep I know riders never get a 100% satisified but bubba dont seem even close to happy sometimes, he just looks tired of it... I'd say it doesnt look like bubba likes the Zuke...

I'd say you give your opinion too much credit! 

Riders at the top of the pro level are all so close that slight changes done to the bike can definitely effect their lap times. I like when riders are honest whether they say its their fitness or the bike 

I think its pretty simple to a extent....

I had a buddy that raced Pro Late Models at the local speedway.  I was always amazed out how much the driver and crew chief would adjust the car.  They guy would win heat races by a fairly good margin, and yet they would tinker with the set up to try to get, literally a tenth of a second off a lap time.  Sometimes they would be successful, although most of the time they would go backwards.  Simply amazing to me.  I'm sure JS and his team were looking for that tenth of a second. 

But, I agree why mess with success.  I sure wouldn't........

I'd say you give your opinion too much credit!

Sorry if my opinion on your favorite brand/ rider hurt your feelings

Didn't hurt my feelings... not in the least. None of the bikes on the line have anything in common with my bike, and I could care less what riders you talk about. I just think it's funny that you can read so deeply into what is said in a 20 sec interview and know what the riders are thinking. Apparently you know everything there is to know about me too since you think Chad is my favorite rider... comical I tell ya. 

Wait I got it! You're Tye's wing man! I knew there was a similarity! 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1089371-roczen-and-dungey-both-leaving-ktm-from-inside-source/

Edited by BDubb106

Didn't hurt my feelings... not in the least. None of the bikes on the line have anything in common with my bike, and I could care less what riders you talk about. I just think it's funny that you can read so deeply into what is said in a 20 sec interview and know what the riders are thinking. Apparently you know everything there is to know about me too since you think Chad is my favorite rider... comical I tell ya.

Wait I got it! You're Tye's wing man! I knew there was a similarity!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1089371-roczen-and-dungey-both-leaving-ktm-from-inside-source/

Haha wow I really got to u! Bringing out the big guns now huh? :D Well u and chad got the crybaby thing going, didnt say he was you're favorite rider but i can see it now...

H

And Suzuki really must suck big time, I haven't heard bubba happy with the bike once :/ and its almost never been anything wrong with bubbas riding according to themselves. How many months, (years?) of testing does it take to make "Jesus on wheels" consistently fast... FAIL

Stewart and his team don't think there is anything wrong with the rmz as a model to work with.

The rmz, kx and Ktm are bikes with wide "setup windows" but these riders can still get it wrong because tracks and conditions change. So does the suspension technology, and it's a fine line.

The testing comes and goes, but never stops.

Roczen sometimes says he got his setup wrong, and he very rarely complains about anything.

What I liked about RV is when he smashed the competition he'd usually say that "I liked the setup of my bike". So confident in himself that he gives credit to the way his machine was working for him.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 2

You didn't notice it?! They moved some decals around between motos. Makes a HUGE difference! :facepalm:

:devil:

• Like 2