Sign in to follow this  

The Red Seat Project (pics)

I've always loved the black and red color scheme and since owning a black DRZ I've always wanted to add in some more touches of red to add contrast. Especially a red seat. I was curious how it'd look and while companies like N-Style will sell you a nice red seat cover, its fairly costly for something Im not sure about. So yesterday I had nothing but time on my hands while watching the kiddos swim so I picked up a $10 piece of marine grade vinyl in floridian red color and went to work. Below are the pics of the project. I chose to lower my seat height, but if you're happy with the stock foam then you can skip those steps. Im sure not everyone will agree with my color choices (my wife sure doesn't :lol:  ) but for $10 I wont cry about tossing it away if someday I decide to change it. It also opens the possibilities of other colors, or even patterns as well, as long as the material is available. Paisley seat cover anyone?  :smirk:

I'd really like to add red fork boots, but Im hesitant to start pulling the forks off my bike with it just being 2 months old, maybe in the future...

Started with the stock seat foam and shaved it down with a serrated knife and used a drum sander and some hand sanding to smooth and shape it.

ShavedSeatFoam_zps2047e28c.jpg

Laid the cover material out on a table, sit the seat foam on top of it and began to staple the cover on.

StaplingCover1_zpse15b8762.jpg

StaplingCover2_zps6555cc50.jpg

The finished seat

FinishedSeat_zps8886474d.jpg

Mounted on the bike

0607141935_zps8ea03180.jpg

0607141650_zpsf1916663.jpg

Edited by plankk
  • Like 4

I commend you on your DIY attitude, but that is a wrinkly looking saddle. Why not give it another afternoon and straighten it out a bit?

I've always loved the black and red color scheme and since owning a black DRZ I've always wanted to add in some more touches of red to add contrast. Especially a red seat. I was curious how it'd look and while companies like N-Style will sell you a nice red seat cover, its fairly costly for something Im not sure about. So yesterday I had nothing but time on my hands while watching the kiddos swim so I picked up a $10 piece of marine grade vinyl in floridian red color and went to work. Below are the pics of the project. I chose to lower my seat height, but if you're happy with the stock foam then you can skip those steps. Im sure not everyone will agree with my color choices (my wife sure doesn't :lol: ) but for $10 I wont cry about tossing it away if someday I decide to change it. It also opens the possibilities of other colors, or even patterns as well, as long as the material is available. Paisley seat cover anyone? :smirk:

I'd really like to add red fork boots, but Im hesitant to start pulling the forks off my bike with it just being 2 months old, maybe in the future...

Started with the stock seat foam and shaved it down with a serrated knife and used a drum sander and some hand sanding to smooth and shape it.

ShavedSeatFoam_zps2047e28c.jpg

Laid the cover material out on a table, sit the seat foam on top of it and began to staple the cover on.

StaplingCover1_zpse15b8762.jpg

StaplingCover2_zps6555cc50.jpg

The finished seat

FinishedSeat_zps8886474d.jpg

Mounted on the bike

0607141935_zps8ea03180.jpg

0607141650_zpsf1916663.jpg

That looks good! Would love to change my seat on my Z. But would prefer the red/black seat color like on the RM-Z's. Anyone think that is possible?
  • Like 1

Great color choice! I for one totally like it! :D

Edited by Paul_

Very nice,  your bike looks very good,  tis basically black, gray and some red,   id take off your stock accordians and go with red seal savers,  looks so much better imo,  and easy to do,  removing the accordains takes about 10-15 minutes max,  not a thing to avoid cause your bike is new. 

• Like 2

Very nice,  your bike looks very good,  tis basically black, gray and some red,   id take off your stock accordians and go with red seal savers,  looks so much better imo,  and easy to do,  removing the accordains takes about 10-15 minutes max,  not a thing to avoid cause your bike is new. 

+1 on the red seal savers......would tie it all together and add "pop"....... :smirk:

• Like 1

Im partial to the accordians honestly, I'd love red accoridans, but wouldn't seal savers still require me to drop the forks out of the triple clamps? I've dropped the forks on dirt bikes before, its not that big of a deal, but I just have to tread carefully with bike mods due to heat from the wife, she didn't like the idea of me changing out the exhaust and the seat cover. I can only imagine her reaction to walking outside and me having the front forks pulled out of it  :smirk:

Edited by plankk
  • Like 1

Is that smooth vinyl? First wheelie is gonna send you flying off the back lol. Completely unrelated story, but I remember one time my buddy was washing his XR and decided to ArmorAll the seat...... It ended with him doing the best superman impression I've ever seen in my life :lol:

• Like 2

Is that smooth vinyl? First wheelie is gonna send you flying off the back lol. Completely unrelated story, but I remember one time my buddy was washing his XR and decided to ArmorAll the seat...... It ended with him doing the best superman impression I've ever seen in my life :lol:

Its hard to see in the pics, but it has some grain to it, but its smoother than the stock seat, but I can't ride wheelies so its not a big deal.

• Like 1

Im partial to the accordians honestly, I'd love red accoridans, but wouldn't seal savers still require me to drop the forks out of the triple clamps? I've dropped the forks on dirt bikes before, its not that big of a deal, but I just have to tread carefully with bike mods due to heat from the wife, she didn't like the idea of me changing out the exhaust and the seat cover. I can only imagine her reaction to walking outside and me having the front forks pulled out of it  :smirk:

Dropping the forks is very easy,  put bike on stand,  remove front wheel,  loosend the 4 bolts and the fork is out.

• Like 1

hahaha.....you'd have to do the same thing if you changed to red accordians.....just sayin'  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

hahaha.....you'd have to do the same thing if you changed to red accordians.....just sayin'  :rolleyes:

Yep, that's why I haven't changed them to red yet. But maybe a future project.  :)

• Like 2

If he really does not want to remove the forks, and is not planning on ever reusing the black accordians,  he can always just cut them off,  and install the velcro style seal savers,  just a thought...

M8.

• Like 1

If he really does not want to remove the forks, and is not planning on ever reusing the black accordians,  he can always just cut them off,  and install the velcro style seal savers,  just a thought...

M8.

Yeh, I thought the same thought, but they are just the shorty versions, not sure if he wants that. I think they'd look good, but.............. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeh, I thought the same thought, but they are just the shorty versions, not sure if he wants that. I think they'd look good, but.............. :rolleyes:

They dont make the velcro type in the long version?

• Like 1

They dont make the velcro type in the long version?

I've never seen them. Only ones I've seen on their site are the shorty's........ ;)

• Like 1