Sign in to follow this  

Washington Good transmission builder..?

I'm in the same boat with my 2010 Ram 2500. I guess 1000 ft lbs of torque will eventually take it's toll.

There's only a  few good diesel shops around these parts. The one that I think I'm going to use is the power shop out in  Enumclaw.

deisel truck shops do not in most cases rebuild trans. in house.they buy from whoever gives them the best mark up and then blame you when it fails.if you have a highly modded dsl eng. than expect to buy a lot of tranys. with that being said there is always the exception,but the best thing is to control your rite foot. good luck

deisel truck shops do not in most cases rebuild trans. in house.they buy from whoever gives them the best mark up and then blame you when it fails.if you have a highly modded dsl eng. than expect to buy a lot of tranys. with that being said there is always the exception,but the best thing is to control your rite foot. good luck

I couldn't agree more. But, sometimes that's not even enough, the 68RFE is not the best trans in the biz and it's best to upgrade to an aftermarket rebuilt model.

Not sure on Dodges, but we found with Fords it was a great program to buy factory rebuilt trans from the dealer. 3 year warranty and covered anywhere in the US. Most local shops are 1 year

• Like 3

It's an auto 48RE, it hasn't gone yet. But I got it hot pulling a hill so I decided to put on a bigger pan, change the fluid, etc. The magnet had a fair amount of fuzz on it (no chunks of metal thankfuly). I haven't really done much to the engine, exhaust and a programmer. I do tow a heavy trailer several times a year. It looks like I still have some time so I just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row (and enough $$ in the piggy bank) so it's not down for too long when the time comes. From what I have been reading there are a few tranny upgrades can really help.

Not sure on Dodges, but we found with Fords it was a great program to buy factory rebuilt trans from the dealer. 3 year warranty and covered anywhere in the US. Most local shops are 1 year

Could not DISAGREE more with this post. Going to the Ford stealership to replace a piece of crap with a Ford factory reman. piece of crap? Why would you want to do that? Not unless you like having your tranny replaced every few years. Go with proven quality!! Either John Wood or BTS. Look them up and do some research. Sorry if this response seems harsh but BTDT the hard way.

Thurston County Transmission in Lacey is the best I've seen.

It's an auto 48RE, it hasn't gone yet. But I got it hot pulling a hill so I decided to put on a bigger pan, change the fluid, etc. The magnet had a fair amount of fuzz on it (no chunks of metal thankfuly). I haven't really done much to the engine, exhaust and a programmer. I do tow a heavy trailer several times a year. It looks like I still have some time so I just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row (and enough $$ in the piggy bank) so it's not down for too long when the time comes. From what I have been reading there are a few tranny upgrades can really help.

Is it setting codes or check lights? when it gets hot is it shifting harsh? how do know it got hot? gauge or did it vent fluid,

Could not DISAGREE more with this post. Going to the Ford stealership to replace a piece of crap with a Ford factory reman. piece of crap? Why would you want to do that? Not unless you like having your tranny replaced every few years. Go with proven quality!! Either John Wood or BTS. Look them up and do some research. Sorry if this response seems harsh but BTDT the hard way.

Worked for me in a fleet for years! Have someone local build you a trans, and have it go out on you in say, Nebraska.

In pro truck racing we always sent the trans to a race builder, but the haulers, well they were good to go all over the us and mexico

Personally would like to have a tranny that just stays together and doesn't need the warranty. That being said both John Wood and or BTS are pretty much the cream of the crop on Ford trannys like the OP is talking about -if you do some searching -both on the street, diesel and RV forums.

Just one example

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1094530-john-wood-or-bts-tranny.html

Worked for me in a fleet for years! Have someone local build you a trans, and have it go out on you in say, Nebraska.

In pro truck racing we always sent the trans to a race builder, but the haulers, well they were good to go all over the us and mexico

have to agree with trackmaster on this one. some local shops do a better job than assy.line remans. but then you only get a local warranty.so if you race it or keep it local you will be better off. go out of town and have a failure then you will see the limitations a small local shop has.i wish it wasn't that way but the big reman companys have that advantage. so pay your money and take your chances on either. but to the op service it often and put in governer pressure solenoid and governer pressure switch and a output speed senser for good measure.they are cheap and fail often.. and ride often

Go to the TDR dodge forum and poke around. I know suncoast is good as is Gorearend but not sure if they both are still doinf rebuilds