Sign in to follow this  

Xt225 oil leaking from oil filter cover plate

So I changed the oil in my 1994 serow/xt 225 yesterday and the bottom bolt of the 3 that hold the cover plate of the oil filter on, was very loose. Noticed last oil change that there was some metal shavings on the bolt, which is an M6, and it went in loose but never leaked oil. Rode about 25 miles after the oil change yesterday and at my destination there was oil all over my right boot and lower pant leg. Actively dripping oil still. Couldn't tell at first because It was all just dropping out bottom of skid plate, but it seems we tracks it down to that loose bolt on the cover plate.

So my question is, should I just retap to the next size up bolt? Probably an M8 and then RTV the plate? I searched the forums but am seeing that each bike can be specific as far as having enough metal on the case to retap.

Thanks!

Well I was able to get by with a slightly longer m6 x 1.0 bolt with washer. Snugged up well and no more leak. However, I noticed a slow ooze of oil when running from the top of the crank case where the right case cover meets the case itself. I think this was probably more of the problem. Bolts are tight, so I'm guessing probably needs a new gasket. Bike has close to 5000 miles. Does this sound like the problem? And if so, is this a pretty easy job. Looks like just unbolting and revolting basically.

Thanks

you do need to replace the gasket periodically.  in a pinch,  you can coat it with thick grease to get it to seal up.  I had to do this while waiting on a new gasket as I needed to ride the bike home after I changed the oil after work.