Sign in to follow this  

Hinson clutch chatter

Finally the time has come to ditch the stock clutch and throw in the Hinson set up. Will keep the stock basket, hub, and PP as spares. My issue is that I am experiencing a lot of chatter when not on the clutch. It almost sounds like something is vibrating together in there. The clutch works exceptionally well. It is just the noise that it is making that is bothering me and doesn't make any noise or give any indication of anything not being right when the lever is pulled in. I have taken it apart and reinstalled thinking maybe I just didn't torque it correctly or missed something but everything is there, torqued correctly, and measured perfectly. Anyone know what I should be looking for, or what could possibly be causing the noise? I have Hinson full clutches in all of my other bikes and none of them make a noise. It is an expensive piece to just "hope that everything works out". 

There are no distinctive marks that would indicate to me where something could be rubbing or coming in contact with anything else. I'm lost.

Same issue here. It can be reproduced when I first put it in gear and start to move, then seems to go away. When riding, I don't feel or hear anything. Just when at a stop and go to take off from a dead stop.

Hinson is religous about suggesting Synthetic oil is the culprit and insist they don't use the slippery oil nor does any of the factory teams.  They seem to suggest it's clutch slip related causing this issue.

In order for me to test this hypothesis, I'd need to buy new plates and flush my gear with the suspect oil. I've used Amsoil for years and my engines love me for it so I may pass on this test.

LMK how you end up.

Yes, that makes sense. Once on the track and up to speed it is fine and I don't notice it. Just when I first start out or put through the pits under little load. My worry was is that none of my other bikes make this sort of noise. 

As soon as I get on the gas or pull in the clutch all the way the noise goes away instantly.

It's probably slipping some out of corners as well, but you don't notice it. The Hinson creates a very deliberate grab compared to an OEM clutch when slipping the clutch. It's more on/off in comparison as you don't use the judder springs when swapping over.

The slick oil is probably causing the plates the slip on the track at well. At some point I may switch to regular oil as I remember Hinson providing a much more direct clutch engagement - more power to the ground.

It's probably slipping some out of corners as well, but you don't notice it. The Hinson creates a very deliberate grab compared to an OEM clutch when slipping the clutch. It's more on/off in comparison as you don't use the judder springs when swapping over.

The slick oil is probably causing the plates the slip on the track at well. At some point I may switch to regular oil as I remember Hinson providing a much more direct clutch engagement - more power to the ground.

I haven't noticed any clutch slip, just the noise and vibration. I've been running Rotella in all of my bikes and no slip issues. The stock clutch started needing adjustment more frequently which is why I decided it was finally time to switch.

Edited by BDubb106

Just an update... chatter is almost non existant now. I hear it when I start the bike but as soon as it gets to operating temp it goes away completely.