Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 woods suspension question

Hey all,

I've got an 01 YZ250 I'm slowly changing over to a trail/enduro bike. I'm planning on doing some suspension work within the next month or two to soften everything up a bit. I've never had anything revolved before and was wondering if it's best to get both the forks and the shock done at the same time or just focus on the forks?

It's sprung heavy right now and I have stock springs that will go back in when I have it all apart. I've got the clickers backed almost all the way out and it's a heck of a lot better but it's still harsh over roots, stumps, ruts, etc. I'm 6ft, 170lbs and ride mostly single track woods with a little bit of track.

Hey all,

I've got an 01 YZ250 I'm slowly changing over to a trail/enduro bike. I'm planning on doing some suspension work within the next month or two to soften everything up a bit. I've never had anything revolved before and was wondering if it's best to get both the forks and the shock done at the same time or just focus on the forks?

It's sprung heavy right now and I have stock springs that will go back in when I have it all apart. I've got the clickers backed almost all the way out and it's a heck of a lot better but it's still harsh over roots, stumps, ruts, etc. I'm 6ft, 170lbs and ride mostly single track woods with a little bit of track.

Have both done... that way the bike remains balanced and you get the best results possible. 

Stock springs should be perfect, and I'll suggest 108mm sag for the shock, that has always been my magic # for the Yz.

Have both done... that way the bike remains balanced and you get the best results possible.

Stock springs should be perfect, and I'll suggest 108mm sag for the shock, that has always been my magic # for the Yz.

Hey! Thanks for the advice! I figured it's better to do both but wasn't sure if the shock was ok or not, stock. Really excited to get this suspension dialed in!

Hey all,

Try to find a tuner who has a lot of experience with your bike used in the terrain you ride. A face to face talk about your needs is a great thing if possible. If not, call a few tuners and see if you can communicate well, it is very important. Then cross your fingers and toes!

• Like 1

Try to find a tuner who has a lot of experience with your bike used in the terrain you ride. A face to face talk about your needs is a great thing if possible. If not, call a few tuners and see if you can communicate well, it is very important. Then cross your fingers and toes!

That is always my #1 suggestion! If you can find a local tuner that knows his stuff and is willing to work with you to make the suspension work for you, it will perform better than an assembly line type environment like some of the bigger companies. Odd's are your tuner has also ridden at the same spots you often ride too! The only advantage the big guy has is that they have tuned 10's of thousands of the same bike you own and 100's for application but you will never get the personalized service without having to send it in over and over again to make minimal changes.

• Like 1

Hey Deener - you're in MN right? The goto guy here for offroad is Matt Stavish / Checkpoint Offroad. He's a great rider and tuner, knows what we need for the woods.

• Like 1

Hey all,

Definitely get both done at the same time.  Since it is designed for motocross the internal valving will never work for the woods in stock form, no matter what you adjust clicker wise.  Stock springs will definitely work for your weight and once you get the valving dialed in it will make a world of difference.  I worked for one of the "big guys" for a long time, and unfortunately as the guys stated above it is hard to get that one on one service unless you find one guy at the company that is willing to give you the time of day everytime you call. 

• Like 1

C-P: Yes sir! Mn here. From everyone I've talked to, Matt at Checkpoint has come up the most. I'm pretty sold on going through him from all the positive things I've heard. Plus he's close by as well which makes it nice! Thanks for the heads up!

To everyone else, BDubb, George and Justin, thanks for the advice. I pretty much figured it'd be best to do both ends but figured I'd ask anyhow. Thanks for helping out a nooooob hahaha!

Side note, anyone wanna buy forks and a shock for a yz125/250? Valved for off-road and sprung for 145lbs by ProAction? Bought em local reasonably priced due to a mis communication. Will sell em for what I paid.... I know we have classifieds, sorry. :)

• Like 1