Sign in to follow this  

03 CR85 Need Good Advice

I have acquired a CR85 with woods mods. New it was a small wheel but it has the big wheel conversion. It has the following extra parts/mods. 3 extra sprocket sets, 2 extra chains, swing arm and small wheels, 3 extra sets of tires( mx 51"s), used spare clutch, top end kit + spare cylinder, stock expansion chamber, fly wheel weight, and extra set of black plastic. Installed mods are hand guards, Renthal bars?, WC rad brace, WC skid plate, FMF gold ex chamber, wide pegs, blue rad hoses / carb hoses, and the stock or a softer than stock rear spring- came with another spring don't know if it is stiffer or softer than stock, both are yellow.

I plan to use it a little bit myself (190lbs) for a play bike. I am the heaviest person that will ride it. The main reason I have it is for friends and family to use when I go trail riding, and at some point as my daughters skills increase she may use it for trails and possibly for MX.

Now for my questions.

Will it need top ends more often because of the extra weight its pulling?

Should I run caster oil in it? If not what do you suggest- I run Lucas semi @ 40-1 in my 250.

Should I consider a 105cc kit?

Is there anything else I should know about, check / watch for, buy for, or do to this particular bike, considering it's intended use.

Any knowledgeable advice is appreciated.   I will post more detailed pics later today.

Thanks for looking.

cr85.jpg

• Like 1

You sure won't go wrong with the 105 kit.  I had an 01 with the 105 kit done by Eric Gorr with Low/mid porting and a 10oz flywheel weight and it was awesome on trails.  My son rode it mostly but there were times when I would have to ride it for him up a technical hill or something and it pulled my 170lbs really easily in those situations.  Yours looks really nice. 

Thanks guy's

You sure won't go wrong with the 105 kit.  I had an 01 with the 105 kit done by Eric Gorr with Low/mid porting and a 10oz flywheel weight and it was awesome on trails.  My son rode it mostly but there were times when I would have to ride it for him up a technical hill or something and it pulled my 170lbs really easily in those situations.  Yours looks really nice. 

About how many hours did you get out of a top end with the 105 kit?

Runs awesome but I seem to have a problem with spooge. That means its running rich? So go down a size with main jet or move needle? Its leaking spooge where the expansion chamber connects to the cylinder. Do I need a gasket, joint, and seal? parts 11, 12, 13  http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/2003/CR85/CYLINDER-HEAD-%28'03_'04%29   Thanks for any help.

Runs awesome but I seem to have a problem with spooge. That means its running rich? So go down a size with main jet or move needle? Its leaking spooge where the expansion chamber connects to the cylinder. Do I need a gasket, joint, and seal? parts 11, 12, 13  http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/2003/CR85/CYLINDER-HEAD-%28'03_'04%29   Thanks for any help.

IMO, the stock exhaust manifold is simply flawed on these things.  The only way to stop the spooge on the pre 05 models is with this:

http://www.fastech-racing.com/cr80-cr85-o-ring-exhaust-manifold.html

$30 is a steal for that thing IMO. 

It will stop the leaking at the cylinder.  Spooge is a product of rich jetting.

Ok that's what I thought, I just wasn't sure if sealing the leak would help to burn up the excess.

I was hoping to let my step dad ride this bike this weekend but I'm not sure if I should. Obviously it's running rich, I don't know what premix the other guy was running but I plan to run Racing Castor @ 32-1.  I drained and cleaned the tank, what ever the last guy used was a nice light blue color. I doubt changing the premix will help but would adjusting the fuel screw possibly get me close enough to ride it? I'm not gonna have time to get jets before we ride. If I cant get it right he can ride my daughters DRZ, so no big deal.

Also is there any way to temporarily seal where the pipe connects to the exhaust port, that I wont regret doing when I switch to the O ring exhaust manifold in this link?http://www.fastech-racing.com/cr80-cr85-o-ring-exhaust-manifold.html   I was thinking silicone??

Once again thank you for any help.

I was hoping to let my step dad ride this bike this weekend but I'm not sure if I should. Obviously it's running rich, I don't know what premix the other guy was running but I plan to run Racing Castor @ 32-1.  I drained and cleaned the tank, what ever the last guy used was a nice light blue color. I doubt changing the premix will help but would adjusting the fuel screw possibly get me close enough to ride it? I'm not gonna have time to get jets before we ride. If I cant get it right he can ride my daughters DRZ, so no big deal.

Also is there any way to temporarily seal where the pipe connects to the exhaust port, that I wont regret doing when I switch to the O ring exhaust manifold in this link?http://www.fastech-racing.com/cr80-cr85-o-ring-exhaust-manifold.html   I was thinking silicone??

Once again thank you for any help.

High temp RTV works.  before I got the fast tech manifold on my 125, I would put a bead around the outside of the exhaust manifold where the pipe would meet the cylinder, then when the pipe pushes against the end of the exhaust manifold it would sea up.  Allow it to dry and it stops the leak. 

High temp RTV works.  before I got the fast tech manifold on my 125, I would put a bead around the outside of the exhaust manifold where the pipe would meet the cylinder, then when the pipe pushes against the end of the exhaust manifold it would sea up.  Allow it to dry and it stops the leak. 

Thanks man, I really appreciate all your help.  :thumbsup: