Sign in to follow this  

Clutch drag @ 20hrs ?

Just purchased a 2007 WR250F with 20 hours (absolute mint condition). The bike was warmed before my test ride and right out of the driveway I stalled the bike 3 times (seller must have gotten worried I couldn't ride) once on my way everything seemed in order until I stopped and went to take off again. Clutch disengaged way late like there wasn't any cable slack yet would creep forward while in gear (clutch in). So I asked the seller what oil he runs? Amsoil synthetic wet clutch approved. So what next? Free play @ the lever is in spec. Time to pull the clutch or ? I had n 2001 WR that needed the washer fix but this doesn't have the lever stop before the bars action. Thanks.

Edited by keenxxx

Sounds like the basket has grooves worn in it.

Fix:

remove side cover and plates

You can leave the basket in or remove it

file the tangs to remove the grooves

reinstall the plates

check free movement before installing the pressure plate.  Any hanging, dress the tangs that are hanging up the plates

recheck movement

reinstall removed parts

you're good to go

NOTE:

Some techs frown on this repair as it will increase the open space between the tabs on the friction plates and may cause chatter on engagement.

Just be aware.  Proceed at your own risk on this one.

I only mention since it is a viable solution.

Other solution is replace worn parts..... $$$$$

Thanks for the detailed response. Fortunately it was a simple fix. Even though I had free play @the lever there wasn't enough @ the case cable adjuster - this adjustment isn't in my service manual. I backed off the case adjuster and compensated @ the lever now my clutch is fine. I did drain the fresh Amsoil synthetic...damn.