Sign in to follow this  

Need help with jetting 200 xcw

Hey guys,

I need help jetting my 13' 200 xcw. It has never ran good from the start of new.

I got a JD kit and installed the blue#3, 170mj, 38pj, air screw 1.5turns out, and the idle-18th throttle got smoother but 

started smoking more than normal. I then swapped to the red #3, 165mj, and even the 40pj, same issue, smokes pretty bad.

Im I still running rich? Temps here at 3000ft are 90's.

Thanks,

I really don't know what oil or what ratio. It the fuel that came in the tank from the dealer.

I haven't gotten to really ride yet because I can't get it to run right.

Is this a new left over '13 or a used bike?

Is this your first 2T?

Not saying the dealers gas and oil is bad, but you have no idea of what it is.

Start fresh with the gas and oil mix you intend to use on a regular basis.

The JD kit red needle is good. For your riding conditions you'll need to tweak the jetting for best response.

If this is a used bike you could have multiple issues. A lot of smoke that smells of burning oil and not permix is a leaking wet side crank seal. These crank seals generally start leaking when the bottom end needs rebuilding. 

edit: I see this is your second post regarding the same issue. You really should continue your original thread, not start a new one.

So your bike is brand new. Disregard what I said except for the gas and the question, is this your first 2T?.

The jetting from the dealer is stock OEM and yes that needle is terrible if your not an MX rider or aggressive on the throttle.

The JD needles should have given you some significant change. 

Edited by jersey_devil

Yes, this my first 2t. It's a new bike.

I tried the red#3, 170mj, 38pj, 1.5 turns same issue. Played with the a/s fro 3/4 - 2 turns also.

putting your own gas in it is the way to start, confirm your float level , if its good then try red second clip position from top. you need to ride it and warm it up before making any decisions read through the 200 jetting thread and pay attention to what others are running in your kind of area

• Like 1

putting your own gas in it is the way to start, confirm your float level , if its good then try red second clip position from top. you need to ride it and warm it up before making any decisions read through the 200 jetting thread and pay attention to what others are running in your kind of area

You are definitely correct.

I just got off the phone with JD jetting, and they

told me the same thing. I didn't know this but the

dealer would put break in oil or very rich fuel mix

in the first tank of gas which will be impossible

to jet. He said to move red to clip2 and run out the

tank, then mix 40:1.

OK, being your first 2T, if your other bikes were 4T, know that a little smoke, especially on startup and warm up is normal. A 2T runs rough when cold and after the engine is warm, a few blips on the throttle, what is called "cleaning out". 2T's by nature do not tend to run as smooth at low throttle as 4T's. Jetting is very important for all bikes but probably more so with 2T's. When riding conditions change, such as elevation or temperature you will notice a change in the power more so than with a 4T. This is all normal. Big changes in riding conditions require tweaking the jetting to maintain power and the proper fuel ratio.

Enjoy your new 200, you made a good choice.

Edit: I think you may have also posted over on Ktmtalk. I didn't reply hoping others would, apparently they didn't? While you have a lot of support here, many from Ktmtalk also post here, you will find more info over there as many riders don't post here. 

Edited by jersey_devil

I find this site to be every bit as helpful as KTMTalk, in the past it was much more difficult to get the kind of information here that you could over there. However due to the cranky old man who runs that website this place has picked up a lot. I wouldn't worry about going over there, you'll find what you need here without the hassle of dealing with those people.

• Like 1

the classifieds are pretty dam good over on ktmtalk if your hunting ktm parts, and that guy from munn racing who advertises their (Chip) is the man with answers about compatability of parts and a abundance of used parts on hand. I put my crashed in half 10sxf450 together with parts mostly from their,

• Like 1

the classifieds are pretty dam good over on ktmtalk if your hunting ktm parts, and that guy from munn racing who advertises their (Chip) is the man with answers about compatability of parts and a abundance of used parts on hand. I put my crashed in half 10sxf450 together with parts mostly from their,

thats true the classifieds there are pretty lickin with parts.