Sign in to follow this  

Hard to shift

Hi,

sxf250 '13 here with almost 40hrs on it.

Oil chang done after running in and every 10 hrs.

I use Motorex 10W60.

from last oil change specifically (but basically from the beginning) I'm not satisfied. The gear pretty hard to shift and sometimes I try to shift up and stays in the same gear and it's drive me crazy.

~3hrs from last oil change.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance,

Tamir

Try a different oil

sometimes bikes just respond better to different oils, so try any different oil, if it shifts no better it maybe a internal issue, the 13 did have a few shifting problems, i think the shift drums were wearing.

+1 on using a different full synthetic oil like Motul, Maxima, Redline, I use Mobil 1 4T full synthetic oil.  If you still have shifting problems after changing the oil, check your shifting drum and clutch.

Thanks, I'll try different oil, the bike never had any problems like some of the '13. The trigger was a short ride on friend's bike (EXC125 '11) his gear shifts like butter!

Goin to a lower oil grade will not help. Do a slight adjustment to ur levers. Pushin the lever out will help.

If that doesnt help then bleed ur clutch.

Dont mess with the oil grade, 0w50 10w50 10w60 and 20w60 are acceprable

Tryin not to tinker with my bike anymore...

So no mentionin of new gizmos plz

the 13 did have a few shifting problems

What shifting issues does the 13 suffer from specifically?  I've noticed that 3rd gear is being a pain in the ass for me.... I miss that shift about 15% of the time.

As i said fault on the shift drum

These gearboxes shift like butter without the use of a clutch, so its not the clutch.

I'm tending to think its a shifter fork or drum issue. The spring retainer on the drum, could be bent as well, that can cause very stiff shifting.

I'd pop the right side engine cover off and check the shifting mechanism. You may see a problem right there with your eyes. Otherwise, pop the clutch basket/hub off to expose the rest of the assembly.

If the shifter lever gets stuck up or down, then it could be the shifter lever flange plate failing.

Thanks for all of you guys.

I decided not to change the oil since from last oil change pasts less than 2 hrs.

My clutch is really hard to pull in comparison to others KTM's clutches I test, even older models.

So.. I've bleed the clutch and it's still the same. Hard to pull.

Do you guys think the clutch springs can cause this? I mean these on the basket.

I prefer to solve it w/o riding because I don't want to bent my gear or something.

If it won't work I'll pop up the right side cover to see what's going there.

Thanks in advance!

The clutches are really heavy imo , my friends 3 hour 14 is really stiff as was my 10 hours 14

Here's my reference springs (SXF 250 '13 vs EXC 6-days 300 '12). Part numbers different as.

Can someone explain what's the units definition? I know the 1st parameter is the length and guess the 2nd in the stiffness/pitch. maybe I can find different springs to make it easier to pull but still not wear the clutch..

Thanks

springs.jpg

Edited by tamir_250

I never use my clutch when I shift , it's unlikely softer clutch springs will help with shifting

• Like 1

Solved.

I didn't changed oil / oil type. I opened up the clutch master and slave cylinders, checked everything, flush the system a few time, I found there a lot of tiny shit that probably was the root cause. I decided to flush it since shifting w/o clutch was pretty smooth. Also took the tip of pre-load the shifting lever (my 1st non-Chinese bike).

Thanks for your help  :ride: