Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 questionable piston, cylinder and rod

Whats up I have a bad ass 2000 YZ 250 that i rebuilt(everything but the engine) and yesterday i decided to pull my subframe and give the old carb and intake some TLC. Anyways when i went to take off my reed valve block i checked inside the manifold and noticed that my cylinder and piston look pretty sketchy.. Here are some pics. The bike runs really well though so im just curious of whether i should pull the engine and rebuild it, thanks guysImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402247753.819497.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402247768.202197.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402247778.851387.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402247842.384639.jpg

Looks fine too me. The piston is scuffed, could be due to dirt getting past the airfilter or worn out rings, but the cylinder still has cross hatching. The rough areas of the cylinder are just casting flaws, nothing out of the ordinary...

Pop the head off give it a top end job and while u can see the crank check it for discoloration or any play at all. If there's any play do a bottom end too. Also check the connecting rod it looks a little different piston looks scraped a little could be from cold seizures but it needs a top end

Thanks a lot for the advice ill get her done this week. I'll take a rebuild over having it grenade on my ass any day...

• Like 2