Sign in to follow this  

There are 6 differences between an E frame and an SM frame. Question for E guys...

In these images the E frame is gray and the SM frame is black.

#1: The rear tank mounts. The SM frame has an extra piece of bracket on top of the rear subframe hinge for the tank flanges.

bPF7FhY.jpg

#2: The front tank mounts. The E has a bracket on both sides, the SM only has one.

#3: The front tank bushing mounts. The E does not have the bushing mounts.

VWYReZV.jpg
CnR3mXT.jpg

#4: The kick stand switch bracket. The E frame does not have a kick stand switch bracket.

BZxgnGi.jpg

#5: The E frame has no steering lock.

#6: The E frame has no rear brake light switch bracket.

My question for you E guys. How does the tank mount? I'm replacing the frame in my SM with this E frame. I got an IMS 4.0 tank and need to know if I have to cut off and weld any of the SM brackets over to the E frame before I send it to powder coating. If the E tanks use the forward screw mounts do you think it would be fine with only one side? I'm fairly certain I need to cut off the left side to fir the radiator fan.

Edited by raimondi1337

Assemble it and do all your fixes before you get it painted.  :banghead:

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

The E tank is only fastened with two sideways screws (onto those mounts in pic #3, of which the SM only has one). In the rear, it doesn't have any screw holes... Instead, it's held by a rubber belt thingy that goes to the rightmost bit of the frame in pic #1.

Assemble it and do all your fixes before you get it painted.  :banghead:

Do you men the tank? I don't even have a basin large enough to dye it in yet.

Thanks for the info guys.

Do you men the tank? I don't even have a basin large enough to dye it in yet.

Thanks for the info guys.

No, I meant it would be a good idea to make sure everything fits on the frame before you paint it.

• Like 1

No, I meant it would be a good idea to make sure everything fits on the frame before you paint it.

I just have it side by side with the old frame. Everything is the same, except these things, plus the two edits I'm about to do to my original post.

• Like 1

Just for clarification purposes only...Aussie model E does have #4...#5 and #6.... :shocked:  :D

Jelly. I'm cutting the brake switch bracket off the old frame and welding it to the new one because "hurr durr street legal" :p