Sign in to follow this  

My bike keeps smoking?

Hi I have a old xr80, which burnt oil, reaaaally bad. Brought it to a shop and got some new rings on it. Brought it back it still smokes, when its idling/revving low, really faint white looking smoke comes out. But revving higher, blue smoke comes which is oil burning. All I know that my bikes oil is overfilled quite a bit. Is this the problem????? Thanks for the help :)

Drain your oil and fill it with the correct amount, too much oil will def cause your bike to smoke

• Like 1

I'm going with piston..was prob on my buddy bike

Keep checking oil level..during testing

It was 45 min my buddy bike burned all oil and shattered piston

My oil level had stated the same all last summer.

I think it could be burning it very very slightly

I'm with 75nova420, You will need to measure the bore...  Since you say its an older bike, the bore may be worn, and even with new rings not able to properly seal.  You may need to have the cylinder bored, and an over sized piston and rings installed.

I think you probably have some dried out valve stem seals. they should have replaced them during the top end job. Mine smokes cold but not hot.  Compression is great, so I know I have some dried out valve stem seals.

I think you probably have some dried out valve stem seals. they should have replaced them during the top end job. Mine smokes cold but not hot. Compression is great, so I know I have some dried out valve stem seals.

could it lead to a bad consequence if not fixed?

the only bad consequnces would be if you did not check the oil regulalrly and it ran low and damaged the engine.  It may also eventually lead to an oil fouled spark plug.  valve stem seals swell quickly again with engine heat and inreased oil temprature and the smoking stops or becomes reduced.  Wispy puffs...

As was said previously the ring end gap could be off, but most shops are smart enough to check for that...  could be a leaky valve too - if your compression is a little low even after the rings.  A good shop should think of all of these things during a top end job, Unless told to leave everything alone and fix only the rings....

Most all shops will advise checking the valves and stem seals / valve springs while it is apart as well as replacing the cam chain. measuring the cam for wear and valve guides etc.

Edited by Motosprtman

the only bad consequnces would be if you did not check the oil regulalrly and it ran low and damaged the engine. It may also eventually lead to an oil fouled spark plug. valve stem seals swell quickly again with engine heat and inreased oil temprature and the smoking stops or becomes reduced. Wispy puffs...

As was said previously the ring end gap could be off, but most shops are smart enough to check for that... could be a leaky valve too - if your compression is a little low even after the rings. A good shop should think of all of these things during a top end job, Unless told to leave everything alone and fix only the rings....

Most all shops will advise checking the valves and stem seals / valve springs while it is apart as well as replacing the cam chain. measuring the cam for wear and valve guides etc.

okay thanks for your help!

the only bad consequnces would be if you did not check the oil regulalrly and it ran low and damaged the engine. It may also eventually lead to an oil fouled spark plug. valve stem seals swell quickly again with engine heat and inreased oil temprature and the smoking stops or becomes reduced. Wispy puffs...

As was said previously the ring end gap could be off, but most shops are smart enough to check for that... could be a leaky valve too - if your compression is a little low even after the rings. A good shop should think of all of these things during a top end job, Unless told to leave everything alone and fix only the rings....

hi I just took a little bit more oil out of the bike so it isn't overfilled, now it's dead centre in the marks. Now, I just put in a new spark plug in it. Kicked it fired right up, but now it seems to be smoking more. Especially when it idling and revving, what is wrong with it? :/ I'm trying to get it running mint so I can sell it. Any ideas?

other than what I described in previous posts no new ideas.  Simply is blowing oil past the rings due to improper bore , piston / rings.  Or not honed if it was stock and just newrings installed.   on the original piston. The only way to know for sure is to tear it down and rebuild the top end.  That is;

next oversize bore, new piston and rings (measure the old one first to see if they are in spec or not)

valve job and measure the guides to ensure within spec.

I would bet your head needs work in the guides, valve seats and or as in the begining when I said simply valve stem seals.

Edited by Motosprtman

Just do a simple "Cylinder Leak DownTest" and pin point the exact problem.

If less than 4% leakage, it isn't the piston and rings, it's the valve stem seals.

If more than 10% them it needs a whole top end to make it 100% again.

Also if that much oil is going through the exhaust, the OEM packing in the Honda muffler may be drowned in oil.

(Probably more serious than that, but possible)?

Just do a simple "Cylinder Leak DownTest" and pin point the exact problem.

If less than 4% leakage, it isn't the piston and rings, it's the valve stem seals.

If more than 10% them it needs a whole top end to make it 100% again.

Also if that much oil is going through the exhaust, the OEM packing in the Honda muffler may be drowned in oil.

(Probably more serious than that, but possible)?

well that's actually a great idea! You see, a couple years ago that bike turned out there was no oil ring on the piston ring and it was smoking like crazy for a month or two, so maybe like you said the packing is full oil. Ill look into it, thanks