Sign in to follow this  

How to clean carburetor pictorial?

Bike starts harder than it should. I thot I saw on another forum a great step by step pictorial on how to clean carb but can't find it. I seem to remember them recommending using fishing line to clean some delicate circuits? but that could be for my DR 650. I'll be passing this job on to a backyard mechanic with no specif CRF carb experience so the more detailed step by step instructions the better. Especially if there are often overlooked bugaboos. I had another person clean carb recently who basically soaked the carb in cleaner but didn't do anything specific...and I still have starting problems.

Once started, how does it run?

Hard starting can be a sign of valves going out of spec...

Jim.

Seems to run fine. Is there an  easy way to check valves withou tearing into the bike?

I don't know that removing the valve cover qualifies as "tearing into the bike", but no, there's no other way.  You have to measure the valve lash.

A leak down test *might* show something if the change in valve spec is from a bad seat, but it won't if the valve has simply stretched.

Jim.

I find getting the carburetor off the bike a much harder job than actually cleaning it. The biggest precaution is to be careful when removing the bowl screws as the heads will strip if you look at them funny.

BTW,As JD said, hard starting is valve adjustment.

RZ Rob