Sign in to follow this  

Oil filters

So I was going to buy a filter for my oil change.. I went to O'rileys, Advanced Auto, and Auto Zone. Nobody had filters in stock. Auto Zone don't even list a DRZ400. Seams like they must be fading away. I had to order from O'rileys and now I have to wait. I ordered a couple so I wouldnt have this problem for a while though.

they are not fading away. its a auto parts store they wont usually keep motorcycle parts in stock. not that ive seen...

I know for a fact Wix makes a filter that fits the DRZ.... I work in auto parts. If they don't have a listing I'm their system tell them to use the listing on the Wix website. I get all my filters from work. They might have to bring them in but they should definitely be able to get them

Advanced sucks but that's another topic

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I ordered from O'rileys.. I got the K&N ones. They were $6 a piece.

• Like 1

K&N filters are like their air filters, they do flow more but they allow a bunch more dirt through. Not good for an oil filter. 

I use WIX filters, buy them locally. The WIX filter includes the orings you need as well. Use WIX part number 57931.

Usually all auto parts stores have what they call a "hub" store in the area. Those are usually your best bet to find odd parts, like motor cycle parts. Generally your local store can get parts same day or next day from these "hub" stores as well. 

Also a little known fact that all the auto parts stores have different prices (same store, different locations). So when shopping try and price the "hub" store, or a lower income area. I have stores that are 6 mminutes apart, with very different prices on some things. The more expensive store (closer to me) matches their sister stores price for me whenever I get something from them.

I normally deal with a smaller auto parts supplier, and buy enough they started stocking the DRZ filters for me, and getting "commercial" pricing is nice as well!

• Like 1

Ive used the red k&n oil filters, look identical to oem other than color, and Ive never seen any press their oil filters flow open like their airfilters.

But for $6 they are great verses oem, and I ran them thousands of miles. When I was in Florida, I could get oem for $5 a piece, Texas it was double.

• Like 1

I must get a great deal. I pay 6.00 for oem filters from the dealer.i do like the 8 for 20.00 deals on ebay just have not done it yet.

• Like 2

I think the brand I use is Hi-flo?? I don't remember exactly. Local Suzuki dealer sells them and I think there like 3 or 4 bucks. I don't see a need to change all the o-rings every time.. Or ever.. unless they leak

• Like 2

I'm surprised by the number of people that are choosing filters based on price, instead of their ability to filter. 

On the topic of stainless filters, they are generally horrible at filtering oil, and a mess to clean. 

• Like 1

As often as you change your oil I think pretty much any paper filter will be fine.

• Like 2