Sign in to follow this  

Picking a new car

I guess I'm probably the weird one in the group but I'm getting ready to sell my truck and most likely buy a car.

I have an old 99 ranger regular cab. I've had it for almost 4 years now. It's not a bad little truck but it's pretty small inside and has manual everything. I figured if I'm gonna get something nicer and newer I might as well get something that can get 30-35mpg for my commute. I recently bought a 2012 accord for the wife and I really like the way the car handles and rides.

I'm looking at smaller cars like Civics, but will consider anything as long as it gets good mileage and is relatively fun to drive. I don't haul much in my truck bed but I'd hate to not have it and need it. My thought was to buy a little 4x8 trailer and install a hitch. I don't have a bike right now but I'm wanting a KDX. Anybody use a car and a trailer for a bike or runs to home depot?

I have a ford fiesta that I use to tow a small 3 bike trailer. It's pulled 2 bikes with 4 people inside no problem. The car has a 1.6 liter with about 125hp and a manual 5 speed and gets about 33mpg towing 1 bike, 38 without the trailer. In my opinion it has plenty of torque for the task. Much more power than my '94 2.3 liter 5 speed Ranger.

Edited by tonyiaco290

Get a Civic.

They're great on gas, the most reliable car on the road and have a ton of resale value. They're fairly sporty too and can be had with a manual transmission easy. I never kept track of my mpg but my 07 is great on gas and so was my 05. They ride a bit sportier feeling then an accord but are still a very nice car. Strongly recommend civics!

My 07 EX Coupe. 

IMG_2686_zpsc67523a5.jpg

IMG_2739_zps5b25912f.jpg

I know it's not worth much but selling it would get me a trailer and a decent KDX. Well that and I'd rather not have a truck parked in the back yard.

Edited by Racerjoey1

I have a ford fiesta that I use to tow a small 3 bike trailer. It's pulled 2 bikes with 4 people inside no problem. The car has a 1.6 liter with about 1.25hp and a manual 5 speed and gets about 33mpg towing 1 bike, 38 without the trailer. In my opinion it has plenty of torque for the task. Much more power than my '94 2.3 liter 5 speed Ranger.

Fixed it for you!  :devil:

Leafsrule, do you ever pull anything with the Civic?

Also I looked a little at the Fiesta's online but never sat in one, are they roomier inside than they look? I'm assuming you talking about the newer Fiesta (2011+) right?

I never said but I wouldn't be doing any long distance towing. The home improvement store is about 2 miles away and there is an ORV park about 10 miles away.

Edited by Racerjoey1

Yes 2011+ model. I'm 5'11" and its comfortable for me but they are a little smaller than the new civic. About the same as a honda fit.

Leafsrule, do you ever pull anything with the Civic?

Nope. I can't imagine it being any better or worse then any other car in it's class though. Mine has a trailer hitch from the PO but I don't plan on ever using it. 

Your ahead in a honda on resale value alone. At least in my parts, used civics command top dollar and are very easy to part with while domestics are not. My family has owned a ton of Honda's and you can't go wrong. Look after them and they run forever and hold their value plus the new ones are nice inside and sporty as well. Far ahead of anything else in my opinion save for a few other cars in their class (Jetta's aren't too bad, Corollas)

Edited by leafsrule16