Sign in to follow this  

XR650R mod questions?

i've used the search and haven't gotten a good enough answer to feel confident in my mod's i have bought to add to the BRP

i have a 2005 XR650R that i have uncorked.

my mod's that are installed or waiting to install are as follows

barnett clutch kit

11:1 JE high comp piston

Hotcam stage 2 

K&N filter and cut away cover

kibblewhite valve springs

i'm just wondering am i missing anything? can i get the bike running good with the mod's listed? right now its a rocket with just the stage 2 cam with barnett clutch kit and fully uncorked.

people take it easy on me i am fairly new to the XR but would love to be guided in the best possible way

thank you very much in advance for your time and help

Troy

That should make around 60 hp.. Your next mod should be an oversize front brake disk. My 650r is stock, and I put on a 280mm EBC rotor after the first time I rode it.

I guess I was asking more along the lines of will I need to cut bigger reliefs into my piston or mill my head?

Should I put the stock cam back in to be safe with the 11:1 piston or am I ok to add everything I have and ride the hell out of it?

Thanks again people

the high-compression piston is a mod I would think twice about, I have one installed in my bike, and the difference from stock isn't really that big, the XR has so much torque and power down low in stock form anyways.

and with the bumped up compression you are limiting yourself to run high octane gas only, some people say you can still run the low octane stuff, I can't though, I get detonation unless I go premium.

also consider the tighter tolerances you get with both the stage 2 cam and taller piston, you need to be paying more attention to your valve clearances.

Edited by BluePills

Do a dummy assembly and use the clay method to check for valve to piston clearance.

If the valve is too close then just add another base gasket under the cylinder. This will drop compression as well.

Should be OK as shelf parts are usually designed to work out of the box.

When you say high octane I'm hoping your not meaning race gas just pump premium? I will do the install and make 100% certain I'm not hitting. Good idea on the base gasket I never thought of that. The little better running bike with all my mods together will be worth it to me. I just want to get that little more.

Thank you very much

When you say high octane I'm hoping your not meaning race gas just pump premium? I will do the install and make 100% certain I'm not hitting. Good idea on the base gasket I never thought of that. The little better running bike with all my mods together will be worth it to me. I just want to get that little more.

Thank you very much

sorry if I wasn't clear, but yeah, premium will do just fine, a lot of people do claim they don't get any knock with added compression on regular gas, but the 650R is a noisy engine to begin with, slight knocking will drown in the rest of the noise, so I would just recommend premium even if you can't hear any knock.

and doing a dummy assembly with the clay is a good idea, a good deal of people have reported the valves contacting the piston with stage 2 cams and high-compression pistons.

What is your exact set up ? Thanks for the help

sorry if I wasn't clear, but yeah, premium will do just fine, a lot of people do claim they don't get any knock with added compression on regular gas, but the 650R is a noisy engine to begin with, slight knocking will drown in the rest of the noise, so I would just recommend premium even if you can't hear any knock.

and doing a dummy assembly with the clay is a good idea, a good deal of people have reported the valves contacting the piston with stage 2 cams and high-compression pistons.

What is your exact set up ? Thanks for the help

my bike is a EU version '00 650r with a wiseco 11:1 piston, stage 1 hotcams, FmF Hi-Flo headers, Q silencer and vented airbox panel.

the stage 1 cam is nice because it adds midrange power without any loss of top-end and minimal loss of bottom-end power, it also eliminates that stupid auto-decomp mechanism and makes the bike even more easy to start, I thought about getting a stage 2, but with the stage 1 you don't need to upgrade your valvesprings and don't have to worry about piston-to-valve clearance, plus I don't really revv the bike out that much anyways so I don't need anymore top-end.

the exhaust is mostly cosmetic, I never liked the look of the stock black system, it's big, bulky and prone to rusting, the FmF is stainless and gets a nice golden color after a few rides, the Q silencer is about as quiet as the stock unit and has a removable insert if you want more thump, but powergains over the stock system is not really noticable, I've heard the pro circuit system is better powerwise, but loud as hell.

the sidepanel is a must-do mod, I'm also running a uni-filter and no backfire screen, lets the engine breath slightly better at all rpm's.

the piston is a mod I'm not sure did anything really, it might have just given back the bottom-end power lost with the stage 1 cam, I'm not sure, but I have to run premium gas, and since premium isn't carried by all gas stations here i norway, I'm actually considering getting a OEM piston again, the stock engine has so much low end power anyways, more than I can use.