Sign in to follow this  

smoother idle

Anyone noticed their 250X idles more smoothly with the battery than without?  I have a new Li ion battery on the way and so removed the old one.  Still runs well, but seems to idle better with a a battery.

Am I crazy - just hearing things that aren't there?

I'm no electrician but I can't see why running it without a battery would hurt the bike.

Anyone else out there ride with no battery?

The headlight system is AC and separate from the DC system, just like most of the XRs.

The tail light is DC and is switched on by a relay when the engine starts, early Xs had a separate relay, newer it is in the ICM. The relay also provides power for the optional fan kit.

Ignition power is a separate system but it is all controlled by the ICM, and the battery is connected to the ICM via a Y/R wire, so the ignition maps may be different when DC power is missing.  Don't know.

I'm also having idle problems that seems so difficult to solve but I have a good battery.

Edited by Chuck.

Ive not heard of any idling issues due to the battery being removed.

The battery was removed from our X long ago and have not experienced any problems at all because of it. The bike kick starts good and idles good but it doesnt get run at an idle much either. When first starting it if theres cool temps at all the choke is used for a short time then the rpm is held slightly above idle for a short time. When there is warm temps the choke isnt needed just hold the rpm slightly above idle for a short time before taking off.