Sign in to follow this  

Need Help. 1998 xr200r with a 185 cylinder jug.

Working on my friends 1998 xr200r. got the bike off craigslist. Came with no gaskets on the top so we tore it down to put new gaskets in. upon removal of the head we saw the cylinder jug and piston were ruined. 

We order what we were told was an xr200 cylinder jug but it was only 63mm across so we determined it was an xl185 jug. We then ordered a 185 piston. 

We go to put the bike back together and for the life of us cant get the cam to rest flat across the top. the cam chain seems to short. It seems like it needs just one more link. 

Do we need a longer chain? 

No they are same. Check to see if chain kinked on crank gear. By the way the 185 cylinder will bore to all the 200 pistons so next time just order a XR200 piston

I pulled the fly wheel just to make sure it wasnt kinked. Im 100% postive it isnt. I even had to pull the plastic chain guards. still cant get the cam to sit flat. 

Wrong chain, guides,cam.

Did cam ever sit flat?

Are u 100% sure u took tension off chain properly..on left side of engine behind cylinder on case remove black rubber cover use 14mm loosen bolt then remove 10 mm bolt use long Allen wrench shove it in the hole all the way down..while holding it down firmly tighten 14 mm...if this don't work...something if broke or installed incorrectly.. assuming u have all correct parts..if this works reinstall 10mm bolt start engine loosen 14mm bolt some while running then tighten reinstall black cover go do burnout and drink beer

Edited by 75nova420

Yeah it was a 100 link chain. we ended up taking the whole head and jug off an 83 xr200r and fitting that to it. 

Thanks for the help anyway

If it is a BS25-100 Tsubaki they are a tad tight to start with. When you say won't sit flat do you mean with top rocker cover off that back of cam(with steel bushing)is not sitting flat with new camchain? That is normal. Chain will loosen as soon as you fire it up. Just my opinion. Also just check everything. Gasket thickness etc can make it slightly tight.