Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel way out of balance

Rode my 14 RS450 for the first time today and I get a huge shutter from front wheel over 50mph. I finished my trail ride and took the front wheel off and took it to local shop to balance. Turns out it's 8oz out which is way to much to fixe with weights. I'm sure most of it's the lock but what can I do?

OEM rim locks are around 4oz. You can get light weight ones that are 1.25oz. I bet it's more so your tire. Try rotating it on the rim then check it. There's always the option of using 2 rim locks opposed from each other or if you don't air down, just eliminate it all together on the front.

Thanks Rotax, I pulled the rim lock and it balanced out at 2oz. If this fixes the prob I like your idea of opposing light weight rim locks.

Rotax it fixed the shudder problem but I have a concern that if I do opposing rim locks will changing flats be a real pain cause I won't be able to get the tube into the valley?

• Like 1

Rotax it fixed the shudder problem but I have a concern that if I do opposing rim locks will changing flats be a real pain cause I won't be able to get the tube into the valley?

It is more pain full at first,but you get use to it, yammies have two rim locks on the rear.

I now run mousses on my bike, don"t use a rim lock on the front, and don't know anybody that bothers with them on the front, really, unless you do massive long stoppies through creeks i doubt you could spin a front tyre on a rim under braking, then again, tearring the valve stem out of the tube might be a concern.

Find some light weight rim locks, that would be the go.

It can be a big pain depending on the tire and if you're doing it by hand but doable. Play around with turning the tire on the rim. If your 2 oz out a light weight rim lock is 1.25 oz so 3/4 oz would be very good.

It can be a big pain depending on the tire and if you're doing it by hand but doable. Play around with turning the tire on the rim. If your 2 oz out a light weight rim lock is 1.25 oz so 3/4 oz would be very good.

Jim: as Rotax said it is most likely the tire - I believe it was in the Tubliss instructions that often times manufacturers will put a white dot where the tire is lightest. When I went Tubliss, one tire had a mark and the other did not. Also if you are using HD tubes, they can be thicker in some areas and could also be the cause.

It is more pain full at first,but you get use to it, yammies have two rim locks on the rear.

I now run mousses on my bike, don"t use a rim lock on the front, and don't know anybody that bothers with them on the front, really, unless you do massive long stoppies through creeks i doubt you could spin a front tyre on a rim under braking, then again, tearring the valve stem out of the tube might be a concern.

Find some light weight rim locks, that would be the go.

Yeah, my Yamaha WR450F had 2 rear rim locks. I got used to the idea. If only changing a tube, you do not have to remove the locks or spoon a tire over 'em. No big deal.

There are times when its not convenient to stop & fix a flat; no lights just before sunset, used last tube/patch earlier in the day, etc...  With 2 rim locks you can keep the tire on the rim & ride it out if you need to. Maybe to the next shade tree, or 20 miles back to camp. Its not good for the tire, but it will get you back to camp if it needs to.

The oem rim locks from Beta are the heaviest I have ever encountered. With only one on each wheel, you get a bouncer at both ends as delivered! Motion Pro (Pro Motion?) makes lightweight rim locks, and I have 2 front & rear. With 4mm UHD tubes. No more balance problems or flat strandings. This works for me.

Catfish ...
  • Like 1