DIY Stegz Pegz/Leg Pegs or "compatible" Stegz/Legs?

I know I need to stand on my bike more but like a lot of people I struggle with tired legs. I understand Stegz Pegz or Leg Pegs are supposed to help a lot with this, so they are something I'm keen to try. Problem is, they don't make them for my Beta yet, and there is no ETA on when there will be a set available. I have seen a DIY solution of an XR400 using a set of door-stop rubbers which looked quite effective. So I thought I'd look into it on my bike. Unfortunately the arrangement of the plastics and frame don't lend themselves to a simple solution. So I thought I'd ask "the collective" if there are any ingenious suggestions (other than to toughen the &%$#@! up princess).

Here's a pic of the left side of the bike:

Left-withoutbootbolts_zps446b832f.jpg

The logical mounting points for either the door-stop rubber would be bolts B, but when I put a boot on the peg it looks like that bolt is too far back:

Left-withbootbolts_zps60269a78.jpg

Now, looking at the "original" Stegz Pegz design they oversome this with a bracket that lets you place the rubber further forward:

StegzonKTM_zpsbe33c424.jpg

Now, because I don't have much in the way of equipment to fabricate something myself I'm left wondering what my options are. The distance between bolt A and B is approximately 360mm-365mm, so if there is a current set of Stegz/Legs Pegz that would fit there I guess my problem would be solved. So my first question is to current owners of Stegz Pegz or Legs Pegs - has anyone measured the distance between the mounting holes to let me know how close my bike is to an available set so I can possibly just bolt on an existing set or modify the holes to b able to fit them up?

Failing that, I am wondering whether it'd be easier to get a metal strip that I could bolt up between bolts B and C and then mount a rubber door-stop somewhere along there? Problem is that it would block easy access to my airbox if I did that. Then again, maybe the original stegz design would present me with the same issue?

Anyone out there got any advice/suggestions (other that "contact Stegz" coz I did and they haven't replied)?

I lost 30 lbs. That cured my tired legs when standing

I've lost 33lbs (15kg) in the past 3 months already and whilst I am still losing weight I would like to sort something like this out anyway. So your "input" (which does little more than telling me to "Harden the &%$#@! up") is of little use in this situation. Could we please keep this thread on the topic of making up some sort of Stegz Pegz/Legs Pegs solution?

They say "Ignorance is bliss"... what a blissful life you muct live!

Considering Australia's Factory Motorex KTM off-road Riders (Finke, Hattah racing), Factory Honda GHR off-road team, and Factory Husqvarna Rider Glenn Kearney all use them, and they are better riders than I could ever wish to be (and I would wager better than you could ever be) I am going to go ahead and dismiss your opinion as uneducated. Accessories like this have market because there is a need/desire for their products and they are considered useful by those that know more than... nothing.

Now, run along...

I've been riding for over 40 years and can't say I've ever seen or heard of these. After finding a pic they look like skateboard wheels. I guess one could use a clamp on GPS ball mount on the frame/sub frame.Take the ball out and use the mount for a bolt. 

• Like 1

I've used both brands on a few different bikes.

The product works, but not without issues

- when you push back on them they eventually cause bruises that never seem to heal, if you ride a lot.

- they bend and mangle when you fall

- they really need to be about 15-20mm wider, as on really rough terrain, your legs slip over them

- getting them in the 'right' place is sometimes impossible. Could not do it on my KTM or KX, but could on my CRFR. It you are over 6'3" it's not easy to get them back far enough

- after using them for about a year, I came to the conclusion that squeezing and grip tape is a much better alternative

- they block the air box on most bikes

...oh and if you got paid $10k a year to use them like the riders you mentioned, you would use them regardless.

• Like 1

I always thought Ozzies were a more robust lot but perhaps not. I don't know any of our top desert racers that use these. In fact I do not anyone that does

Maybe just go all in and get a bike built for someone that is paralyzed. That would be easier to ride

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402323117.948872.jpg

Just train harder, not the comfortable answer but the right one.  More important the older you get if you want to continue to enjoy this sport.  Pistol squats will strengthen your legs quickly.

• Like 2

Just train harder, not the comfortable answer but the right one.  More important the older you get if you want to continue to enjoy this sport.  Pistol squats will strengthen your legs quickly.

Wall squats too!

I'm a TRX fanatic.  A good trainer will whip you into shape in no time.

Been racing steady for the last four years, and on and off a long time before that.  Of the thousands of bikes and riders I have come across in that time, I have NEVER seen one using these.  No users = no data.  Maybe in Australia its different.

I have only seen them on the internet. I once tried the sticky things with nubs. Lasted less than a hour before peeling off. Surprisingly, my Seat Concepts seat has a very small bulge that helps lock my legs into place when standing. 

Not meaning to put the OP down, but these things sound like another snake oil product just like the Pivot Pegz. Those footpegs are downright dangerous. I got a broken leg because of those crappy things. I'm shocked to see that BYOB offers them as an option for the Beta.

FWIW, I'm a sucker for trying the "latest greatest" product. Trials tires come to mind. Now they just set on my tire rack at home. The newest fad is running super low or zero air pressure with Tubliss and stiff knobbies. I will be doing that over the next few rides......

• Like 2

I run the pivot pegs and am liking them more and more now, not so much at first. I run a ZacSpeed Dakar backpack/chestplate combo from Australia, its dam nice! Nicer than ANYTHING Ive seen or used in the US. I've looked at the pegz online and they seemed like they could fit a need. Even though I've also never seen them here in the US doesn't mean they are shit. I've got Shane Watts videos as well, Dam nice training stuff from a beast of a rider. Id say the Australians may know a thing or two.......

Play nice so he comes back and lets us know how he likes these....

Edited by Mckay
  • Like 2

If you use these like my son does, you can almost take a step back on the pegs for more leverage

.adventure_peg_adon_orange__5132213288341

• Like 1

I run the pivot pegs and am liking them more and more now, not so much at first....

They work great right up until you go blazing through the whoops in a race and the spring/stop snap off causing your foot to slip off the peg. You have been warned. Horrible product. I was on crutches for 12 weeks because of those things.

Not sure  how the stop could shear, it would have to take out the whole pedal dam near. wonder if they made improvements?

Edited by Mckay

Not sure how the stop could shear, it would have to take out the whole pdal dam near. wonder if they made improvements?

I think mine were a first gen. I will pull them out next week to really check them out. Maybe the stop is intact. It happened in 07. My last race.....