New to the DRZ world

Hello everyone. I just picked up a brand new 2014 DRZ-400SM yesterday afternoon and have a wopping 8miles on the odometer. My future plans are yosh exhaust, filter, 3x3, rejet, maybe a new carb and some small items like levers and screws for that personal touch. But that will be alittle ways done the road. However in the mean I am looking at changing the front sprocket to a 14tooth, howecer I can seem to find one that will work on my bike. I was under the impression that all the DRZ were the same. Am I wrong? Will any year sprocket work on my bike? Any help would be greatful. I will post up a pic when I get home.

Edited by ospreyfe55

Hello everyone. I just picked up a brand new 2014 DRZ-400SM yesterday afternoon and have a wopping 8miles on the odometer. My future plans are yosh exhaust, filter, 3x3, rejet, maybe a new carb and some small items like levers and screws for that personal touch. But that will be alittle ways done the road. However in the mean I am looking at changing the front sprocket to a 14tooth, howecer I can seem to find one that will work on my bike. I was under the impression that all the DRZ were the same. Am I wrong? Will any year sprocket work on my bike? Any help would be greatful. I will post up a pic when I get home.

First off, welcome to Dr.Z's office. We love new patients here. It seems you have moditis. Haha, see what I did there? Anyways welcome, and most things for DR-Z's will fit every DRZ. Theyve had very few changes since they were first made.
  • Like 2

Just my opinion which doesn't mean =#*^ but I wouldn't start switching sprockets until you know what your bike can do. Unless you change wheels or just want to wheelie. There really isn't a reason for a 14 tooth on a stock SM. if you really want to here is a link to help you.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/JT-Sprockets-Self-Cleaning-Steel-Front-Sprocket-DRZ400-All-p2006835317.html

I'm sorry. Welcome to the board and the DRZ.

Edited by qwaster
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard! This forum is filled with many helpful, knowledgeable members

If you haven't already check out the FAQ, it has a lot of great information in it.

These 2 are a must read in my book:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/939138-what-every-drz-needs-protection-reliability-fixes-common-maint/

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552694-mcct-install-guide-and-why-one-is-recommended/

And of course we will need some pics! We have a strong "pics or it didn't happen" policy on this forum…….so if you don't post any in the next 24hrs then we will all assume you bought this

kmfuz_trike_651609.jpg

?

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 12

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I havent ridden in a while and my last bikes that I had were a gsxr1000 and a TL1000R. So there is definitely a difference in riding style and power! I live in Albuquerque so eventually I will get some offraod tires for some dirt trails nothing cosmic though. I have looked at the TT store link and that is whay drove me to my question about sprockets. The store only listed the front sprockets as new as 07. When I put my bike in the site told me it wouldnt fit. I would like to just put a 14t on the front for now. And is ok to do the 3x3 mod with jet before exhaust. That will have to wait awhile as its 500bucks I dont have!

Mine looked like that 4 months ago. I now have a separate off-road and sumo setups. Get yourself a separate set of 21/18 rims to ride off-road if you plan on switching. Well worth the money IMO. I bought separate plastics as well so my sumo setup wasn't gettimg scratched. Depends on what you plan on doing. I ride mine hard so I need separate setups. I would definitely look into the FAQ's as these guy/gals are really good and most know what they are talking about. The preventative fixes they have are worth the time to do.

Welcome aboard! This forum is filled with many helpful, knowledgeable members

If you haven't already check out the FAQ, it has a lot of great information in it.

These 2 are a must read in my book:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/939138-what-every-drz-needs-protection-reliability-fixes-common-maint/

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552694-mcct-install-guide-and-why-one-is-recommended/

And of course we will need some pics! We have a strong "pics or it didn't happen" policy on this forum…….so if you don't post any in the next 24hrs then we will all assume you bought this

kmfuz_trike_651609.jpg

?

Is that a KTM front wheel? Edited by qwaster
  • Like 2

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I havent ridden in a while and my last bikes that I had were a gsxr1000 and a TL1000R. So there is definitely a difference in riding style and power! I live in Albuquerque so eventually I will get some offraod tires for some dirt trails nothing cosmic though. I have looked at the TT store link and that is whay drove me to my question about sprockets. The store only listed the front sprockets as new as 07. When I put my bike in the site told me it wouldnt fit. I would like to just put a 14t on the front for now. And is ok to do the 3x3 mod with jet before exhaust. That will have to wait awhile as its 500bucks I dont have!

You can do the 3x3 without exhaust, but will have to jet accordingly. Craigo will help you out with that im sure. But when you install the exhaust down the road you will have to rejet again. Another cheap mod I would do right away is the DRC Edge Tail Light kit. It really cleans up the back en of the bike.
  • Like 1

Carbs settings are different with and without open pipe..

The reasoning behind this, in layman's terms = Better exhaust gas flow will require better intake flow to balance the books...

If you are going to run with the stock carb, I would suggest the JD Jetting Jet Kit - DR-Z400S/SM and the ThumperTalk DRZ400S/SM Extended Fuel Mixture Screw for fine tuning the fuel screw....Otherwise shoot for the stars and get the DRZ400S/SM FCR-MX 39mm Conversion Kit.... :devil:

either way it will save you a carb removal to wait for your pipe and do the jetting change at the same time...

As some members would suggest that carb removal and installation is a Major Pain... :jawdrop:  :rant:  :foul: ?

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

drz front sprockets interchange with every model/version of the drz. 

there differences between the first drz and your 2014 is very very little. 

• Like 1

Welcome!! Man mine looked like that 4 month's and 4000 miles ago! I would highly recommend the shinko 244's for off road. A lot of people don't like the 17" on front but I love the whole setup. And at $45 a tire it's a steal. Happy modding!

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402334087.209075.jpg

Planetwister that is one sick SM. What size tires did you end up going with? Did you do anything to the gearing? And one last question what Yoshi system is that?

Planetwister that is one sick SM. What size tires did you end up going with? Did you do anything to the gearing? And one last question what Yoshi system is that?

thanks dude, it's a 5.10 on rear and 4.60 on front. Does real well off road. I actually went up with the gearing 16/40 for commuting. Cruises at 70 good. Gonna get 14/47 or close to that when I take it to the desert in a few months. It's the RS2 carbon full system.

you might look at getting an MRD. its probably cheaper, the money is going to a guy that actually contributes to the site and its made in the us. performance is usually better too...

• Like 1