Sign in to follow this  

HELP! Cracked oil drain bolt location

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402280219.674181.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402280233.145683.jpg my drain bolt wouldn't tighten so i figured the threads were stripped and planned on doing a helicoil fix. I opened it up and found that it was cracked along the top where the bolt threads in:( do i need to replace the case?

Someone could probably weld that up.  You could then see if just running a tap on the threads would get the bolt to tighten; If not, then try the helicoil.  Wouldn't cost much to see if it works, versus the notable cost of a replacement case and the associated labor costs, misc gaskets (I'd change main bearings and seals if I had to split the case too.  You should be able to get to the end of the crack, drill it out with a small bit to get crack to stop, then call around to some places that do aluminum welding.  I'd dremel the crack too before welding it.

Edited by mch

$264 for a new right side case from Motosport. I will probably go this route. I don't want to "mend" something like this. And all this right before a 4 day fathers day trip:/ oh well stuff happens for a reason right?

Someone could probably weld that up. You could then see if just running a tap on the threads would get the bolt to tighten; If not, then try the helicoil. Wouldn't cost much to see if it works, versus the notable cost of a replacement case and the associated labor costs, misc gaskets (I'd change main bearings and seals if I had to split the case too. You should be able to get to the end of the crack, drill it out with a small bit to get crack to stop, then call around to some places that do aluminum welding. I'd dremel the crack too before welding it.

after doing some research i think i will go with your suggestion. Id be in around $800 i figure if i bought a new half case, split the case and had to put it all back together (time). I work with welders so I'm going to see if they could help me out.
  • Like 2

after doing some research i think i will go with your suggestion. Id be in around $800 i figure if i bought a new half case, split the case and had to put it all back together (time). I work with welders so I'm going to see if they could help me out.

I think that's the way to go.  It looks like that crack is accessible to be welded and it isn't in a spot where it has to be to machine tollerances.  You just got to get the bolt to tighten and don't want more cracking.  Let us know how it comes out + pictures would be cool.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402454151.315850.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402454164.912753.jpgwent with the helicoil. I still need to hit the end of the crack with a small drill bit. Like you mentioned, the bolt just needs to tighten and hold oil, i dont even know if it needs to be welded.

Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered my gasket for the cover and some fresh oil and trans drain bolt washers (and a roost deflector too):) cant wait to put it all back together. I will have to miss the trip i had planned, but there will be more to come for sure.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402455778.366569.jpgjust ordered some alumibond. Might use it on the crack for a little insurance.

ALUMFAST® is a fast curing repair kit used for aluminum and copper pipes, valves, models, patterns and castings. HY-POXY® ALUMFAST® can be machined, sanded, drilled and tapped which makes it a popular choice for automotive, plumbing and HVAC repairs.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402454151.315850.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402454164.912753.jpgwent with the helicoil. I still need to hit the end of the crack with a small drill bit. Like you mentioned, the bolt just needs to tighten and hold oil, i dont even know if it needs to be welded.

I was thinking that crack wasn't in too critical a spot, but I'm guessing if you did nothing it might fatigue later on and who knows what that could lead to.  That epoxy should work, but hope it never comes off.

Yeah im going to scuff the area when i apply it and make sure it has good adhesion. Thanks again for the helicoil and drilling the crack idea.