Which 2008 - 2013 used low hour 450 should I buy? Come in fellas!

Just as the title says. I'm looking for a deal on a clean low hour 450. I want something that will handle well, feel light, make good power and be reliable. I've done a good bit of research as to which bikes are worth a look and which ones to stay away from (for the most part). Turning to you guys to help me make the final decision. I am willing to spend up to $4500 as i said but only if it's beneficial to do so. If the 08 crf 450 is still a solid contender against the later FI models, well I might as well find a clean 08 crf for $3k or less.

That said, I've been looking at the newer FI bikes in a little higher price range.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the following in the $3k and under range...

08 crf 450

08-09 yz 450f

And for a little more, I'm looking at...

10 - up RMZ 450

12.5 or newer ktm 450 sxf factory edition

12 kxf 450

13 crf 450

Which bike would you guys suggest of my options here? I've never been a kawi guy and handling is important so I'm looking more closely at the rmz and ktm options for the newer bikes. I love the 13 Honda but power is a little weak for my solid 230 lb self.

I have a lead on a clean 12.5 ktm 450 sxf factory edition bike with 37.7 hours on it. It has a few extras and it's clean. Guy is at just over $4000 on it which seems like a deal. Any issues with these ktm's?

It seems all my options can be had within my budget though so I want to make the right choice. Thx fellas!

The above are all solid choices.

KTM 4strokes are lowest on my list due to higher cost of parts and goofy engineering of the engine- too many people I know have too many problems with their KTM 4stroke. I like KTM 2strokes just fine.

Basically of the above bikes you showed, you should be shopping by condition. Performance levels are on par.

I happen to own a 2006 CRF450R and it's a great bike but in my opinion the Yamaha 450 has been the cream of the crop since 2010.

• Like 1

I appreciate the response! The higher maintenance and parts cost on the KTM was a concern of mine. I'm anal about maintenance and keeping things 100% so whatever I get will hopefully be problem free. I was under the impression that the ktm motor and was a good one on the factory edition 12 but I've never owned one to know personally.

As far as the yz's, I heard the 07-09 bikes were solid bikes. Heard they has some issues from 10 all the way up until this 14 that just came out but it hasn't been out long enough to know quite yet.

An 08 CRF is still a solid choice ----  many people felt Honda took a step or two backwards with the FI bike in 09 and didnt get it resolved until '12

An 08 or 09 YZF --- also a solid ride, -- i rode Yamahas in this time frame and i wish i had kept my 08   --- reliable and with smooth power ---- so easy to ride fast .   I still kick myself for getting rid ofit, but time marches on

I'm surprised to see all the love for the 08-09 yz's. I actually had a clean 08 YZ 450f for a little while that i really liked. I have a 13 crf 450 now and although the power isn't real aggressive, it has a smooth and manageable powerband. Just looking to try something else.

The Honda feels lighter and much more narrow than my yzf did. Handles better too IMO. If i find another super clean 08-09 yz 450f for a good price, I'll go that route again. Same with an 08 crf 450. If I'm gonna spend more on a newer bike that has fuel injection, I'm leaning toward the RMZ or the KTM. Or... spending some money on mods to hop up this 13 honda. I like everything other than the subtle powerband. I like feeling that aggressive hit. I know the kxf has a beast for a motor but I've just never been a kawi guy. Last one I rode felt big and heavy and didn't handle as well as the Hondas I was used to.