Sign in to follow this  

"New" 1990 DR350S Owner with Start Issues

Hello!  I just picked up a pretty nice and  low mile (7,000) 1990 DR350S from a guy who just wanted to dump it because he was tired of kicking it.  He said he never could get it to run well and after taking it from winter storage it wouldn't start so it was time to move on.  He said he checked the valves a bunch of times and cleaned the carb, but just couldn't get it to start with any regularity.  

The battery was dead, so I connected it to my Jeep for power. The lights lit up and all worked.  I checked the spark and it had one.  I drained the gas and put new in. I also adjusted the decomp lever.  While I was at it, I checked the pilot screw and it was almost all the way in. I turned it out two turns, but it woudlnt even hint at starting. THis is what I did

Petcock on (it had already been replaced with a non vacuum unit.) Choke out, key on and RUN button out.  I pulled in the decomp lever and kicked it slowly until it popped up, then gave it a long full kick.  Nothing. I tried it with the choke in, out, kicking it over with the decomp lever in a bunch of times then kicking it. I tried holding the throttle some, not holding the throttle...nothing.  Not even a tease of wanting to go.  

My plan is to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning and inspection.  I want to see what jets it has in it and if there are any issues. It does have an aftermarket pipe, Cobra maybe?  I cant recall.  

I will also check the valves and make sure they are in spec. 

My question is, am I missing anything?  What should the basic jetting be?  Also, how is the oil checked?  I had an XR650L and I thought there was something about checking the oil with the engine warm or running..something different then the norm.  I dont have an owners manual, but I do plan on getting a battery and Clymers at some point. 

Thanks!

Dave

PS. this isnt the greatest pic, but here it is for the ride home

i-MMStkSz-L.jpg

You will want to read the May 12, 2014 thread CAN'T START 1991 DR350s. Good tips.

The bike relies on the throttle being COMPLETELY CLOSED AND CHOKE ON to pull fuel thru the tiny starter passageway in the carb. Open the throttle, you are doomed.

As for the oil level.... Manual says let the bike warm up, shut it off, wait a minute and with the bike level, the dipstick gives an accurate read. Takes 1700 ml without filter change, 1900 ml with. There is a small o-ring behind the filter.... DO NOT LOSE IT!

Good luck!

Google "this old tractor"... It's got a ton of DR LINKS, including free repair manuals and tips...

Don't let Monday ruin your Sunday!

I have no "feel" for when my 1990 DR350S is going to start. I kick it till the comp lever clicks with the choke on a few times when engine is cold. Then with the choke half way or not at all a few times all of this without twisting the throttle one iota and it usually starts. Being often the bike isn't ridden for awhile I find that it needs to be kicked alot but when frequently ridden it starts up rather quickly. Sometimes if it refuses to start I hold the comp lever on and kick it through a bunch of times and then release holding the comp lever on and it will start. I have owned this bike since new. I change my oil every 700-750 miles myself.These aircooled singles are hard on oil. I find the shifting gets "notchy" at that mileage. I have an oil cooler on mine. Fun simple bikes-hard to find neutral on mine when running-someday I'll get of my lazy butt and try new washers in clutch to see if that helps.

Edited by bimbamboom

I run my carb dry when I'm not gonna ride it for a bit... It helps big time

Don't let Monday ruin your Sunday!