USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Looking at picking up a '90s DR. What to look for?

Hi all -

I've owned a few 2 strokes in my day ('79 RM80, '81 RM 100, '00 CR250R) but sold my cr250 about a year ago because I didn't have anyone to ride with and all the places I ride are about 45 minutes away.

Anyway, looking at picking up a DR125 to put around town and whatnot with and fill my need for 2 wheel therapy.

Anything I need to know? I found a '94 DR125 with 13k miles on it for sale that I may try to check out. Being a 125 4 stroke I assume it's not very powerful, will that be enough power to be safe on the roads?

How much should I expect for registration/insurance? I'm 26 and this would be my first "street bike."

Edited by KissMyWhtSS

125 may get you around at 60 mph, but that would be pushing the bike to its limit. If you want something to ride on the road, get a 250 or a 350. And if you want to cruise at highway speeds for long periods of time, then get a 650. A 125 would be wayyy too small. I dont know if you have experience riding four strokes or not, but a dr 125 is kinda a kids/begginer trail bike, not really the kind of bike that a 26 year old should be going down the road on. The 250, 350, and 650 are what your looking for

Agree^^^!! A 125 is way to small. Ive got a 350 & at a 15-47 sprocket ratio Im pushing it at 55-60mph IMHO. A 125 DR is comparable to a TTR-125 like my daughter rides. Much smaller machine. Im looking into a DR 650 as an upgrade but I really like how light this 350 is off road.