Sign in to follow this  

Polishing

What's the best way to polish up a cr frame ?

I always advise not to polish bike parts, because once you do, you're forever a slave to the shine. Bare polished aluminum takes almost constant attention to keep it looking good. I did metal polishing professionally for several years, and made quite a bit of $$ on repolishing people's stuff who had let it go a bit too long to restore by hand. If you stay after it, you can keep it looking good, but unless you live in a desert where there is almost no humidity, it's a weekly thing.

• Like 2

Wouldn't really bother me to be honest. If I had the right method to keep it clean all the time it would be all good lol

• Like 1

I haven't done it on my new bike but I start with wet sanding ( soap and water) start with like a 220 grit and sand the shit out of it . I polished in between sanding every grit that I used. I went all the way up to 2000 grit to get a mirror finish

• Like 1

Jeffdanger: what do u think it would cost to get a cr frame chromed? Do u mean like chrome plating or chrome powder coating?

Jeffdanger: what do u think it would cost to get a cr frame chromed? Do u mean like chrome plating or chrome powder coating?

I saw clear powdercoating on TV just yesterday on a hotrod car builder show. They did a Dodge Charger in bare metal. I'm assuming that you could polish a frame and clear powercoat it to protect the finish from oxidation.

• Like 3

Plating. Ive had a quote for 400 for a crf frame. U could also anodize it. Ive seen a sweet yz done in blue.

Just other options. Bikes need constant elbow grease to keep them polished...aint nobody got time fo that!

I here ya there. I'm gonna look into findin a local shop or someone who does Chrome plating that would be sweet! How thin is it? Would it wiegh a lot more w/ chrome plating?

Yeah Bryan I'm also gonna do my homework on the clear powdercoat my only consern with that would be that the clear would blush and make it look foggy instead of the mirror like finish..

I here ya there. I'm gonna look into findin a local shop or someone who does Chrome plating that would be sweet! How thin is it? Would it wiegh a lot more w/ chrome plating?

Not sure. Parts ive done generally arent heavier. Call a local chromer. They may have better info.

What about anodizing a crf frame, how much should that be and where?!?

Anodizing is awesome. Id love to learn more about it and see some sick crfs anodized. May be a reason we dont see it, though.

A google search may yield some local people to help u. Otherwise you have to ship the frame.