Sign in to follow this  

Breakthrough?!?!

So,

After the bike spitting and bogging down a week ago at higher speeds, I've put in one of these:

moto.jpg

I also cleaned out the airbox a little and unblocked the drain tube from it.  I haven't got the appropriate oils to do an air filter (foam) clean yet, and it is filthy!!!  I think I will get a new foam filter and then take care of that one rather than battling with the one that I inherited with the bike!  

The bike has been sitting for a week as I have been away with work.  I put the new battery in this morning and it started on the lightest of pushes of the e-start.  I let her warm up a bit and went for a few laps round my wee village (10km) and it seems to be running pretty sweet now.  It has increased my trust in the bike to venture further away from home and off road, but I think I will definitely be doing this with an experienced friend that can help if it does go tits up again!!!!

I'm still convinced that the indicator (turn signal) wiring is not right, as both times previously when I used them the bike started to bog and the old battery lost a lot of charge!  I purposely didn't use them today and no problems over the short ride.

Watch this space for more updates, as I'm sure I will be hounding you all for information and support when I have another "issue".  It is great to have such a good knowledge base from you all to help though!

Get a new filter and prep it correctly. Keep the old one and clean it and prep it. Put it on the bench in a plastic bag and swap them back and forth. A clean air filter is important if you want your bike to run well and long.

. That's good advice! I was planning on doing just that!!! Any recommendations on brand of filter???

. That's good advice! I was planning on doing just that!!! Any recommendations on brand of filter???

UNI is pretty well thought of.

IMO:

Twin Air filters are much better quality.

Have seen Uni filters come apart at glued seams several times in the past. Hard for me to trust them

IMO:

Twin Air filters are much better quality.

Have seen Uni filters come apart at glued seams several times in the past. Hard for me to trust them

Perhaps those Unis were soaked in gas.  Gas is a very strong solvent that will break down glue and foam especially if allowed to soak which is unnecessary.  I use a citrus detergent degreaser to clean my filters.

TwinAir and UNI are both recommended.   

• Like 1