Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke pre-mix

Previous owner of my bike (03 CR125R) said the he was running Amsoil Dominator @ 50:1

I'm a Castor 927 guy. So, I mix up a batch at 50:1.... I just happened to re-ask the question

and he apologized and said I meant 40:1.....Soooo, do i drain whats left and run my batch

that's 50:1 WITHOUT causing any damage? Or do I need to be mixing at 40:1 to void any

motor issues?

Thanks in advance                                                                                                                                                 

Previous owner of my bike (03 CR125R) said the he was running Amsoil Dominator @ 50:1

I'm a Castor 927 guy. So, I mix up a batch at 50:1.... I just happened to re-ask the question

and he apologized and said I meant 40:1.....Soooo, do i drain whats left and run my batch

that's 50:1 WITHOUT causing any damage? Or do I need to be mixing at 40:1 to void any

motor issues?

Thanks in advance                                                                                                                                                 

Should be fine... but if you are worried about it you could either drain it and mix in enough oil to get you to 40:1 so you don't waste it or put it in the weed eater or mower and call it a day. I do that with gas that I will not be using right away anyways. 

• Like 5

Am I wrong to think that it won't damage the engine, but will affect the jetting?

The difference between 50:1 and 40:1 will be negligible in terms of jetting.

• Like 6

The difference between 50:1 and 40:1 will be negligible in terms of jetting.

That's what i thought...Im gonna go with with olhillbilly and bdub106 and a my addtl 3oz of oil to my already mixed 50:1 to bring it to 40:1 and call it a day.

Fellas - I appreciate everyone that replied and helped me out....Have a great day!

• Like 2

I run 32:1 as according to most bike manuals say, and use Lucas oil 2 cycle semi-synthetic. Best premix oil I've ever used

• Like 1

I run 32:1 as according to most bike manuals say, and use Lucas oil 2 cycle semi-synthetic. Best premix oil I've ever used

What makes you say its the best you have used?  I have no opinion just curious.

• Like 1

I'll agree that a 20% difference in oil is not as large of a difference as it sounds.  50% to 40% mixture is an increase of 0.66 oz/gal, going from 2.54 oz to 3.2 oz per gallon of fuel.  0.66 divided by 2.54 means that the increase of premix oil volume is 25.98%. 

So 25.98% sounds large and incredible, but the oils are engineered to run at 50 or 60:1 ratios.  I would just run 50:1 with the Dominator and you'll be fine.  On the other hand I understand brand loyalty.

• Like 1

I'll agree that a 20% difference in oil is not as large of a difference as it sounds.  50% to 40% mixture is an increase of 0.66 oz/gal, going from 2.54 oz to 3.2 oz per gallon of fuel.  0.66 divided by 2.54 means that the increase of premix oil volume is 25.98%. 

So 25.98% sounds large and incredible, but the oils are engineered to run at 50 or 60:1 ratios.  I would just run 50:1 with the Dominator and you'll be fine.  On the other hand I understand brand loyalty.

That's your opinion, and that's fine. :thumbsup:

My opinion is no way will I run anything smaller than a 500 on 50:1. Oil migration times in a 10,000 rpm engine are simply too fast for that volume of oil. I'll be sticking to 32:1 in my 250, and 26:1 in a 125.

• Like 3

I run 50:1 and always have.  Never had a single problem, but then again, it's a 500 class which doesn't take the abuse smaller bikes do.  I would go with maybe 40:1 or even 32:1 to play it on the safe side.

Back in the eighties when I loved mixing my gas with nitro and other funny additives, I'd run my bike at 80:1 without a hitch.

Blew a few motors, but it wasn't because of my gas to oil ratio.

:devil:

• Like 2

I run 50:1 and always have.  Never had a single problem, but then again, it's a 500 class which doesn't take the abuse smaller bikes do.  I would go with maybe 40:1 or even 32:1 to play it on the safe side.

Back in the eighties when I loved mixing my gas with nitro and other funny additives, I'd run my bike at 80:1 without a hitch.

Blew a few motors, but it wasn't because of my gas to oil ratio.

I was always just the opposite. If I was playing around with different fuel cmponents I would add oil, just because I didn't know what the concoction might to do the lubrication properties of the oil.

I always wanted to try some hydrazine, but was too chicken...:lol:

• Like 2

I was always just the opposite. If I was playing around with different fuel cmponents I would add oil, just because I didn't know what the concoction might to do the lubrication properties of the oil.

I always wanted to try some hydrazine, but was too chicken... :lol:

I don't know what I was thinking back in my 20's.  I guess back then, just a regular YZ490 just didn't have enough power that I had to use fuel additives.  My choice was always stuff like Klotz Nitro that oxygenated the fuel that you could hear the pops inside the cylinder that sounded like fire crackers.  Blew a few engines that way, but damn, what a rush!  Now in my older age, I can barely hold a full throttle on my 500 class bikes for more than 30, no make that 20 seconds. :lol:  Crazy thing is, I still have a sealed 5 gallon racing metal fuel can of Klotz sitting in my garage, and about 1/2 a bottle of nitro I never ended up using.  I wonder if that stuff still has any kick left.  Both are easily over 20 years old. :lol:  You might be able to see it in my garage thread.  For many years, I always wanted to put that stuff in my car just to see, but with emission prices the way they are, I don't need to go out and spend hundreds on a new cat or oxygen sensors. :devil:

• Like 2

Crazy thing is, I still have a sealed 5 gallon racing metal fuel can of Klotz sitting in my garage, and about 1/2 a bottle of nitro I never ended up using. I wonder if that stuff still has any kick left. Both are easily over 20 years old.:

Why not have some fun and make a homemade A-bomb?? Make sure the fuse is plenty long lol

• Like 2

Why not have some fun and make a homemade A-bomb?? Make sure the fuse is plenty long lol

:lol: No kidding.  I'm sure the gas is already inert after more than two decades, so I really don't know if it still has any bang left in it.  The nitro stuff is still good, or at least is still smells good.  Either way, I wouldn't want to gum up any of my rigs with that stuff that's been sitting around too long.  I'll probably throw into the Camero one day just to see how it fires.  Funny thing is, back in the day, that 5 gallon klotz fuel only cost me something like $25, and the bottle of nitro was hell I can't even remember.  Today, that same stuff is 5 times as much.  Just like oils, back in the day, a bottle of spectra or bell ray gas mix was only a couple of bucks, today, it's more like $13.95.  Boy am I stuck in the past! :lol::devil:

Hey Devil, 20 seconds is a long time. What roads do you ride with that thing? ;) 

:lol: wide enough for Colorado to pass me in his four wheel buggy! :lol:

I must be wishfully speculating again, did I say 20 seconds, more like 5 actually. :lol:

:lol: wide enough for Colorado to pass me in his four wheel buggy! :lol:

I must be wishfully speculating again, did I say 20 seconds, more like 5 actually. :lol:

Sorta like sex! ;)

• Like 5

I run Castor at 50:1 in my '92 CR250, and have for years. No issues.

(EDIT - apologies to the OP: I didn't intend to start a jetting digression. I've deleted the irrelevant material and left the relevant bit.)

Edited by bsben

I run Castor at 50:1 in my '92 CR250, and have for years. No issues.

I used to run the recommended 32:1, but I got sick of all the smoke, tailpipe spooge and buildup inside the pipe. I still get those things, just not nearly as much now.

You know that correct jetting will clear those things up right?

• Like 2