Kdx upgrades? ANY BUDGET

Stock bike? First thing is to match front and rear springs to your weight and get your jetting right (stock bike is jetted waaay rich). You can do the KX front end swap, but it's an expensive PITA to get done right, and for marginal gains (I spent a fortune on mine and after 4 years of fighting with it, I went back to the stock front end). Next on the agenda would be to dump the stock pipe/silencer for an FMF Gnarly and whatever silencer you like (pwrcore 2, Q, etc..). Will have to rejet again after this change. Then it would be time to get ahold of Ron Black (RBDesigns) for his squish band and carb mod ($$ well spent IMO). Those are the main things to do that will have the biggest improvement on performance, after that it's mostly blingy stuff as you desire.

Now we'll set back and see how long it takes for a mod to come along and bump this down to the Kawi 2 stroke section.. ?

• Like 1

Totally off-topic, I'm just replying to your username.

Could you hear the roar from the rednecks down here all the way up there when the 88 crossed the line yesterday??

Nope dude, was closing in on mille 200 hundred of a two day dual sport.

. KDXRider has a whole section on hybrid set ups.

I hope Jeff Fredette is the moderator there !    ?

In all seriousness though, i spent some time on a KDX /'04 CR hybrid  = and that little bike was awesome !    --  What a woods weapon --- it totally delivered on the KDX's  mission profile, but with great suspension and chassis !     I wasn't afraid to hit MX style jumps on it, but it still went like stink in the woods !    

Personally, i'd rather keep a hybrid in the same family with a KX based chassis ,  -- but the CR/KDX was cool -----   

Sadly, there isn't much available for upgrades for an '87 KDX. Best thing you can do is to dial in your suspension. After that it would be to upgrade your forks, or build a hybrid like has already been mentioned.

If it was me, I would send the topend out to Eric Gorr for his Mo'better porting and plating, install an RB modified PWK carb and talk to him about having your head modified to work with Eric's porting, install Vforce III reed setup, install it all in a '99 or newer KX125 chassis, and find an FMF or Pro Circuit pipe to fit. That would make one bad ass woods weapon!

Sadly, there isn't much available for upgrades for an '87 KDX. Best thing you can do is to dial in your suspension. After that it would be to upgrade your forks, or build a hybrid like has already been mentioned.

If it was me, I would send the topend out to Eric Gorr for his Mo'better porting and plating, install an RB modified PWK carb and talk to him about having your head modified to work with Eric's porting, install Vforce III reed setup, install it all in a '99 or newer KX125 chassis, and find an FMF or Pro Circuit pipe to fit. That would make one bad ass woods weapon!

I have the money for a chassis would that make it lighter? And plus I have a 05 kdx 200 I have a turbinecore on it and what else is there, like I said what would the chassis do?

That would be a sweet bike, but for all that I could put the money towards an 05 + yz250

I have the money for a chassis would that make it lighter? And plus I have a 05 kdx 200 I have a turbinecore on it and what else is there, like I said what would the chassis do?

The KX chassis would give you updated ergonomics, updated suspension, and it would be lighter weight.

That would be a sweet bike, but for all that I could put the money towards an 05 + yz250

Not cheap but it isn't as much $$$ as you think especially if you already have the KDX. Plus, the KDX/KX hybrid will be noticeably lighter than the YZ.

There is a 2000 kx125 with blown motor just went up on craigslist hes askin 600

That is an excellent candidate for a hybrid build. Plus, that is a decent price if everything else is in good working order. Means you probably can get it for less if you can haggle. Pull off the parts you don't need and sell them here or on Ebay to reduce your costs of conversion.