Sign in to follow this  

California Woodcutter Trail/Bishop to White Mountains

Has anyone ridden this trail recently?  It starts near the Poleta riding area east of Bishop and travels east into the White Mountains.  It has some serious narrow sidehill exposure near the bottom of it and a dry, step up waterfall about halfway up.

We have not ridden it since 2009 and are planning on riding it this Friday if it's still there.

Thanks,

Bob

Never heard of it. Interested to hear more about it or how it goes :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested in riding it, let me know.  We are probably going to camp at Grandview CG.  From Big Pine, 12 miles N/E on Hwy 168, left on White Mountain Rd for another 5 miles.  If that doesn't look good, we will be at Baker Creek CG in Big Pine.

We are planning on riding Woodcutter on Friday, either Coyote Flats or Casa Diablo on Saturday.

Edited by bobc1

Rode it last about 3 years ago but in the opposite direction. Water fall should be the same as it is all rock.

We still talk about that side hill. We got to it late in the day and it looked pretty itimdating at first. Just another trail if you stay on it. First steps a doozie.

Great ride.

• Like 2

We didn't ride it last October but others in the group did. I've ridden it once back in 2010. Felt very ballsy at the time!! Lots of exposure but not many really challenging spots like rocks or tree to have to make it over. Very fun trail but YES only one way is usually recommended. Maybe even required?

We rode down Woodcutter on Friday.  It seemed like it was in better shape that in '09 and the narrow sidehill was a little wider.  It is still not a place to make a mistake.  Going down it is easier than going up and the waterfall was not as bad as I remembered.

It is actually an open flowing trail other than the waterfall and sidehill.

We camped at Grandview CG, 8600' MSL.  Two of our group including me had hangover/altitude headaches the first day.  We felt a lot better on Saturday and rode the Casa Diablo loop.  Everything is really dry.

Our green sticker monies have closed some trails with barricades, signs, and piled brush and trees, in the White Mountains and Casa Diablo.  We had to do one work around on Woodcutter and two work arounds in the Casa Diablo loop due to closed trails. Thank God since it keeps the couple dozen riders per year from destroying the forest.  And the barricades and signs look so much more natural than a single track trail through the forest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igIwGyrWMQE&feature=youtu.be

• Like 5

Actually, the other direction is going up and the rear brake is not needed.  If the sidehill was on the other side of the valley, i.e., going down on a right sidehill with the rear brake against the hillside, you could count me out of going down it.

• Like 1

love that trail... only ridden it uphill... used to live in big pine... lots more similar riding down that way in the inyos...