Sign in to follow this  

Weep hole by water pump cover

It's most likely the inner shaft seal is leaking if you getting oil out of the weap hole, my 07 was leaking coolant so I just changed the outer water pump shaft seal, for the Inner the whole clutch cover must come off to get the seal and bearing out and while you do that I recommend changing the outer seal too

It's most likely the inner shaft seal is leaking if you getting oil out of the weap hole, my 07 was leaking coolant so I just changed the outer water pump shaft seal, for the Inner the whole clutch cover must come off to get the seal and bearing out and while you do that I recommend changing the outer seal too

Thanks for the reply Coggstart. After alittle more investigation, my friend replaced the related bearings and seals of the water pump this winter. It sounds like the impellar was rubbing on the casing. He replaced everything related to the water pump but the shaft and the gear to drive the pump. I wonder if he did not get enough grease on the shaft when he replaced it?

Sounds like he might wait to repair until a few races go by and there is a off weekend. This will give him time to get all the material for the repair. Can the clutch cover stay on the right side engine cover when it is pulled off? Trying to save on gaskets.

Thanks.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Coggstart. After alittle more investigation, my friend replaced the related bearings and seals of the water pump this winter. It sounds like the impellar was rubbing on the casing. He replaced everything related to the water pump but the shaft and the gear to drive the pump. I wonder if he did not get enough grease on the shaft when he replaced it?

Sounds like he might wait to repair until a few races go by and there is a off weekend. This will give him time to get all the material for the repair. Can the clutch cover stay on the right side engine cover when it is pulled off? Trying to save on gaskets.

Thanks.

Jeff

The water pump shaft gets grooved sometimes.  That can cause the seals to leak.  He can take his time.  Just keep an eye on the oil level.  I seem to remember having to take the clutch cover off to pull the water pump.  There is a little overhang that makes aligning everything tricky.  Tusk gasket kits are cheap.

Clutch cover can stay on the right side cover. It wouldn't have been because he didn't use enough grease most likely. although grease on the inner lip of the seals is good to have. most likely he just damaged the seal when installing it. Hope this helps.

Clutch cover can stay on the right side cover. It wouldn't have been because he didn't use enough grease most likely. although grease on the inner lip of the seals is good to have. most likely he just damaged the seal when installing it. Hope this helps.

tylerb, yea we were thinking that about the cluthch cover. not sure what he did but he has the parts and one more race and he will change them out. be interesting to see what is wrong.

Jeff